Los Angeles redditor's request: "Looking for a poor quality yet expensive restaurant to suggest to an enemy"

Originally published at: Los Angeles redditor's request: "Looking for a poor quality yet expensive restaurant to suggest to an enemy" | Boing Boing

4 Likes

The most upvoted pick so far is Nusr-Et Steakhouse Beverly Hills

Good choice – any restaurant associated with Salt Bae is guaranteed to be seriously over-priced. My vote still goes to Barton G in Weho, though. A friend once suggested we try it, but I took one look at the place when we entered and noped right out.

10 Likes

I had a decent meal at Yamashiro back in the late 80s. Took a date there in '90, and the view was the only good part of the evening. The meal was bad and expensive, and the date was a downer. Haven’t been back since.

3 Likes

someone also posted the exact same thing here, but for Reno. everyone was like, “being a dick will come back and bite you. just don’t.”

14 Likes

In NYC, the answer to this question would be: Nello

8 Likes

Wow, Reno sounds pretty awesome!

5 Likes

Looks like this question started life in r/FoodToronto, although the first post with this exact title seems to be from r/Copenhagen. Duplicates now exist for most cities…

9 Likes

I guess the redditor doesn’t know about YELP.

6 Likes

Perhaps there is an opportunity to make a buck by openning a chain of international shitty and overpriced restaurants.

5 Likes

What about Sacramento? A lot of low hanging fruit around town for this exercise.

However if you want unholy price you need to go out of town. I worked one of the most expensive in town and it’s a bargain compared to Grand Teton, Yosemite, Aspen, Sun Valley, Jackson Hole, and Deer Valley prices.

3 Likes

Seems like a creative, attention-grabbing way to ask “what are the most overrated restaurants in town?” rather than a serious request.

3 Likes

If the redditor was actually serious about giving the shaft to his enemy, then “overrated” would not have necessarily achieved his aims. A restaurant can have good food yet be over-priced to the point of being classified as overrated. That aside, the redditor sounds like an asshole.

1 Like

For added spice, check the city’s listings for which places have frequently failed health inspections.

8 Likes

well, to be fair, there were lots of other comments that were less helpful, but several people did essentially say “wow, no, don’t do this…”

4 Likes

Burgess Meredith Meme GIF

3 Likes

There’s a fine line of distinction between a “crumby” restaurant and a “crummy” restaurant. Depends on the amount of gluten and whether the bread is stale or not. I once asked a bartender to concoct the worst cocktail he could think of to send to someone I held little regard for. And yes, the recipient liked it…

1 Like

Went looking. There isn’t a r/FoodBuffalo, but r/Buffalo does indeed have the equivalent topic with credit being granted to r/Sacramento. Checking the comments it appears a place going by the name ‘Luxor Steak & Lobster’ is the choice, which appears to be overpricing for frozen seafood, mediocre steaks and bad service. A number of commenters seem convinced that there’s some sort of money laundering scheme or something going on as the restaurant stays open despite seeming to always be empty.

3 Likes

There seems to be this balancing act with food quality, scenery, and good prices. Like, more of one will pull the other two down.

1 Like

There’s one for DC now, too.

2 Likes

AKA, every international chain of restaurants.

2 Likes