Louisiana congressman-elect dies from COVID-19 at age 41

Given his having shuffled off this mortal coil, methinks what you have rendered is a mere distinction without a difference.

7 Likes

What a blockhead comment.

I can easily imagine what you think of the rest of “the South.”

Regional bigotry deserves the same death by fire that other kinds do.

16 Likes

avengers-thor-nope

15 Likes

On an individual level it doesn’t, but he wasn’t out actively spreading dangerous propaganda (on this, his reproductive health stances are dangerous in a different way). I find a moral difference between personal failings and encouraging others to make the same mistake. They are both still bad, but I have a lot more sympathy for the former.

1 Like

I know, right?

26 Likes

He publicly lauded Trump’s response to the virus and held large events during the height of the pandemic. I feel a lot of sympathy for his kids - and all the people who got infected because of him. I don’t feel an ounce of schadenfreude - I’m just pissed off, and his death isn’t going to teach anyone any lessons, unfortunately.

Because the threat’s not obvious or immediate enough to trigger that. By the time it is, it’s too late.

13 Likes

Plus anyone who thinks Louisiana, the origin state of some of America’s greatest music and food, is a “blockhead” state is just ignorant. NOLA is one of the greatest cities in America, and the world.

28 Likes

If this election has proven anything, it’s that “solid red states” are not.

With the concerted effort they can be changed. Trump only won Texas by less than 2%. The lowest out of any Republican since Nixon.

Mail in voting has proven itself immune to most traditional vote suppression efforts used by the GOP. Active campaigning shows results as well.

16 Likes

Honestly, they never really were, at least not since the passage of the Voting Rights Act.

That’s why they oppose it, of course.

stacey abrams democratic response GIF by MSNBC

27 Likes

What’s being discussed here is more of a blockhead district, the kind of lily-white Louisiana enclave that put up roadbloack during Katrina where they consider salt an exotic spice and think Kid Rock is an “edgy” country musician.

6 Likes

33% African American demographically.

ETA:

36% African American, demographically.

10 Likes

Um, no, that’s not the case here.

9 Likes

Not to mention those of us who aren’t racist fuckwits. But I guess we don’t count…

12 Likes

Nah. That comment read as a dis of the whole entire state, villainizing it.

12 Likes

I meant the topic of the post, not his comment. But the district was more than a third Black and the contest was still between him and another Republican? Yikes.

5 Likes

I was replying to the comment, so…

8 Likes

The comment is what Mindysan was specifically addressing, though.

That archaic 'Us vs. Them/North vs. South" mentality doesn’t fix a fucking thing; it just makes it that much harder to solve our problems.

14 Likes

Very confused by a person who thinks giving blood is important and a small sacrifice we should all make for the greater good (absolutely agree), but wearing a piece of cloth on your face to ensure you don’t accidentally murder strangers on the street is totally unreasonable tyranny that everyone should resist on principle.

21 Likes

Absolutely. Most states, north or south, are purple. Take away the Electoral College and gerrymandering and I’ll bet most states with large, diverse urban centres and big college towns – Louisiana being one of them – would go blue.

11 Likes

I mean, a key part of the classical civil rights strategy was to involve white people who were neutral because they saw this as not being “their” problem.

Same here. If the problems being addressed by activists - structural racism which means that public health emergencies like Covid hit historical oppressed communities the hardest - it’s a problem that has to be solved collectively, and especially by those who have privilege. Part of the reason why the GOP (or the Trump wing) came out against measures such as lock downs and mask wearing, was because it was hitting blue states and communities of color harder. And their selfish actions are essentially being deployed against people here in the south who are not part of the solid red block. They’d love nothing more than to ethnically and political cleanse the south of those elements which threaten their power base.

But the reality is that it’s going to hurt everyone, whatever their race or political orientation. We’re all suffering because of this disease. They are just too myopic and believing that everything should be politicize to gain advantage to see that.

17 Likes