Louisiana is ready to take something other than an eye for an eye

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/01/louisiana-ready-to-take-something-other-than-an-eye-for-an-eye.html

6 Likes

Of course this is unconstitutional. As is the death penalty.

2 Likes

Can’t imagine a creeping definition of “sex offender” would ever become a problem in the New Land of Gilead" either…
Sick bastards…

13 Likes

Here we go again!
Doing their best to take us back to the 50’s. No, not the Eisenhower years, but the 1850’s~

1 Like

My paranoia’s following that logic. It’s not a far jump from trying to label people sex criminals for wearing clothing that “doesn’t match their sex” in public. Add in things like parents seeking care for their children that is systematically being eliminated.

Any time the government can decide who and who can’t have children, it’ll be eugenics.

12 Likes

This seems not far removed from the old practice of chopping people’s hands off for stealing

3 Likes

Apparently, the only thing that is unconstitutional is whatever right wingers don’t like…

Handmaids Tale Cheers GIF by HULU

6 Likes

Do I get my nuts back if it is overturned in appeals?
Maybe I’ll sing King Missile’s Detachable Penis while I wait for a trial date?

Christ there are some really backwards people running things these days.

Maybe the eye for an eye principle could be extended to medical expenses. If a poor person is injured by a rich person’s sports car, we can do: a bank account for a bank account. I’m certain Jesus would approve.

4 Likes

There’s this in the new law: If an offender refuses the surgery, they may face an additional prison sentence of three to five years without the possibility of early release.

So, opting for the additional years only keeps offenders – if not placed in protective custody --longer in the company of inmates anxious to beat and murder them.

3 Likes