Louisiana legalizes surgical castration for felons

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/21/louisiana-legalizes-surgical-castration-for-felons.html

9 Likes

On the bright side, there’s now at least one form of birth control that Republicans support.

16 Likes

Cringe Reaction GIF

7 Likes

Applicable to Evangelical pastors? Come on Texas, you’re falling behind. /s

12 Likes

Of course not, pastors’ balls are holy.

10 Likes

ice-pirates-obligs

(“Do we have a southern states ‘leader’ board going yet?” “so Idaho is included as an asterisk?”)

7 Likes

Tangent: that movie had a ton of trope and cliches in it.

2 Likes

I’m assuming that they mean removing the testes or ovaries rather than FGM or penectomy?

8 Likes

It’s Louisiana. Assume nothing.

12 Likes

“forget it, Jake…
it’s Louisiana.”

7 Likes

Considering that the state has only performed a single chemical castration thus far, I doubt the legislature has actually thought through the details at all. There’s something almost virtue-signaling about this law — but the virtue that’s being signaled is that they want to reserve the legal right to horribly torture any poor immigrants, Black people, or trans/queer folk they can try in a kangaroo court.

14 Likes

Almost? That and projection are all the right can do.

10 Likes

Good thing the justice system is so infallible and has never, ever wrongfully convicted anyone of sexual assault, especially in situations where racist bias may be involved.

12 Likes

Seth Meyers Idk GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

5 Likes

First, this is horrific on a whole deeper level. Just no no no. Total horror show.

That said, I also have logistical questions. Is this chemical castration, testicular removal or an orchiectomy?

I’m asking because I don’t think that would even work for a dedicated sex offender.

I say this because my wife is trans, had an orchiectomy or removal of the testicals, and is on HRT, or estrogen/progesterone. She still has other working plumbing and our sex life is rather lively. My wife is not the only transgender woman I know that is still operational afterwards. (I am trans too, so we know some folks.)

So, even if the intent was to prevent sexual arousal and action, I am not sure that works.

Hell, even if the biology failed, violent sex offenders can still use proxies items.

So I think the other comments are right. This is all virtue signally, becuase it wouldn’t even work to protect anyone.

14 Likes

Louisiana already has chemical castration, so this has to be something else.

5 Likes

Exactly. Sexual assault is a crime about power, and exerting that power over someone else, not about someone’s inability to “control” their libido and having some sort of out of whack “attraction”…

14 Likes

It’s unfortunate that the people in support of this kind of law (*because it reserves them the right to torture POCs and queer people) will interpret ever argument against it as “blah blah i support sex offenders.” Which is reductive, and wrong, and makes it difficult to explain why this is actively dangerous. It’s a rhetorical trick; they get to say “What, you don’t think sex offenders are evil?!” and make the opposing side seem monstrous.

12 Likes

Why Dont We Have Both GIF

1 Like

Yep, but we should just point to one of the most pivotal figures of the 20th century, who helped save the world and remind them what happened to him…

What happened to Turing was tragic and fucking criminal.

I think there are just enough people who buy into the idea that we have to live in an authoritarian police state in order to “control” people, but from my POV the people who believe that are really telling on themselves…

17 Likes