Low-carb butter pecan cookies

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/25/low-carb-butter-pecan-cookies.html

5 Likes

I hope you like my cookies.

MRj

5 Likes

Always on the lookout for low-carb deserts. Just to confirm, that’s 200 calories per cookie?

Love the writeup, and the journey of finding the perfect recipe for you! Best of luck, and remember the Hacker’s Diet!

PER COOKIE. They are a lot of fat and nuts.

4 Likes

9 Likes

I tried sweeteners with erythritol xylitol.

To be clear, erythritol and xylitol are two different sweeteners and I’m not sure which is being referred to initially here. I’ve used equal portions of each to alleviate erythritol’s coolness, and together they more closely approximate sugar’s taste. They’re not great for a lot of baking, though, as they don’t caramelize nor dissolve like sugar, but I imagine that’s a common problem with non-sugar sweeteners - they’re fine for denser, strongly-flavored cakes or lightly sweetening fruit for pies. Gutwise, I only have problems if I over-indulge.
But Stevia with lactose sounds like it could be amazing - a good texture for baking, and I would imagine it caramelizes similarly to sucrose, too. Sadly, my local Trader Joes doesn’t carry it…

I added the missing “and.” I tried sweeteners with both alcohols – the Erythritol is far more impactful on my body and gut. It was also more used in the sweeteners designed for baking, like Swerve or Truvia. I far prefer the Trader Joes Stevia + Lactose.

Nice!

this is the best recipe I’ve seen in a while. Seems like I will still eat the whole batch in one day.

1 Like

Totally have to try these, since I’m been body-shaming myself lately.

Gluten free, too, right? So I can make them for friends who can’t tolerate teh glutens.

2 Likes

There is no wheat in the recipe. I dunno how the glutens would get in.

1 Like

7 Likes

These sound so good.
I can’t have cookies or ice cream in the house, though. Other than special occasions - I’ll try and find one, soon. :slight_smile:
Sweet tooths run in the family and when my wife and I started getting fit and eating less, I wound up having to purge having both of these things around on a regular basis because of my undying love for them.
Me at 2am waking up because I can’t sleep - go into kitchen take two cookies and stick ice cream in between them.
It doesn’t take a lot of work for me to maintain my weight, but some work. Ah, to be 21 again with a sky high metabolism…

1 Like

So why not put butter on the espresso machine’s warming tray? Same reason not trying to make festive snowflake soap by waiting 'til 4 deg. F and dry out and throwing series of boiling soap preparations high up in the air? [Feels bad it will never be that cold on earth for years.]

Will try these soon. Keto on.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Are you sure it is 219 calories per cookie? I used the same nutritional calculator and it came out as 106 calories per cookie. (I was rerunning it because I wanted to see the difference in nutritional content if I used hazelnuts instead of pecans and added a little chocolate.)

By the way, it was from this post that I discovered the VeryWellFit nutritional calculator and I love it! I had been calculating the nutritional content of my recipes by looking it up one ingredient at a time and adding it all up, which was tedious.

Because I mentioned calories in this comment, I feel obligated to point out that the whole calories-in-calories-out theory of weight loss is horrendously wrong. For more info, see Dr Jason Fung explain it on his YouTube video on Therapeutic Fasting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk. If you want to lose weight, the best option for most (depending on the reason for the weight gain) is usually intermittent fasting. Sorry to evangelize about this, but it is effective, healthy, easier than it sounds, and it helped me lose 15% of my body weight (almost 30 pounds) in 4 months.

1 Like

My favorite super-simple gluten-free cookie recipe (which is not low-carb, but could be made so by swapping in stevia):
• 1 egg
• 1 cup of sugar
• 1 cup of peanut butter

Mix well, portion out 1 dozen scoops and use a fork to cross-hatch/squish, bake at 350 until golden brown.

1 Like

I used the calculator, it’s set for 12 servings. I do not vouch for its accuracy, but it is fun fun fun to play with.

I do an 18/6 daily IF and go 24hrs at least 1x per week. IF helps with CICO – doesn’t obviate it. IF and low carbs help me regulate calories in. The exercise bike, dumbbells and floor exercises increase calories out.

My housemates and I have been doing intermittent fasting for the past year along with regular exercise, and it does work very well. The big drawback we’ve all found is that it seems to make our bodies very eager to gain weight if we cheat the tiniest little bit. One dinner out and I’ll gain three or four pounds.

That has to be water retention, unless you have 12,000 calorie meals out (I’m so there!)

I see 2-3lb swings in my weight and don’t pay much attention. Trends are the thing to look at. One salty dinner can take me up 2lbs, that I’ll piss out in a day.

1 Like