Lower-case "x" as a gender-neutral typographic convention

“With penis” and “Without penis” seems like it would cut right to the heart of it.

1 Like

“Castrati” and “Stud”?

2 Likes

I was going with “Latinks”.

4 Likes

I heard somebody say Latinx for the first time today, on the radio. She pronounced it “lah-TEEN-ex.” This pronunciation makes sense to me, as it matches the pronunciation of Latino and Latina. It’ll be a while before the word comes naturally to me, though.

4 Likes

You may try to hide that you’re a douchebag behind “free speech” and “censorship”, but communication and concern for fellow man is not forcing you to do anything nor is your titty-baby reaction to such considerations preventing us from judging you for who you are.

4 Likes

And your existence is proof that dullards harm others to make themselves feel better about their sad lives.

You can choose to not address a person as they want, but you take a sense of pride in refusing to, a gleeful pleasure in denying them the respect they ask for that goes well beyond preference into childish asshole territory.

Say what you want to say, but you’re not a better person for your choice.

4 Likes

I was as well. It’s probably my inner eight-year-old’s fault that it makes me think of “La Twinks.”

2 Likes

Just to be clear, nobody but yourself is couching the use of a new pronoun/honorific as “censure”. It’s not making the language smaller or less permissive, it’s expanding it, like the elastic thing it is. When women in the early 20th century were tired of being forced to use honorifics that classified them in terms of marital status, “Ms.” was proposed; I’m sure there were pearl-clutching letters to the editor 100 years ago using the same language you’re using here. My feeling is that we call people what they want to be called, which isn’t really that tough.

17 Likes

“Phallic and Yonic

5 Likes

fuck no.

reminds me too much of the cow urine guy.

If I read you right, and I’m not entirely sure I do, for me its basically like this: if someone asks me to use a non standard way to refer to them, I’d probably honestly reply that I’ll probably never remember to accommodate them and would prefer to avoid confusing everyone around me. If someone demands I use a non standard way to refer to them I’d probably just say no.

That said, I do still find the attempts/demands to redefine English to be nonsense, as in lacking all sense. I realize this may bother some people but I’m not belittling any person in particular. Disliking a concept doesnt mean I belittle people.

Oh I’m certain there are those who would object to that as well!

Pretty sure I didnt mention free speech or censorship. Note that “censure themselves” doesnt actually mean “censorship”.

Call me names and judge me all you like.

As above to @Phrenological “censure themselves” is a different and perhaps non standard use of the word, it doesnt have the meaning of “to be criticized by another”.

In any case thank you for what is actually the most reasonable supporting point (the use of Ms.). I’m not yet persuaded yet if this change in language usage does come to pass, hopefully I’ll remember your words at that time.

Thanks also for addressing without insults or belittlement. Sad isnt it that I feel the need to say that here.

1 Like

I apologise for calling you what I did, this year has been horrible and the last week has been too much to cope with. I still shouldn’t have done it.

I still stand by my claim that your argument is transphobic in nature though

10 Likes

Thank you. We all sometimes lash out because of externalities. I’ve certainly done the same before and sadly may do so in the future unless I take great care.

From the bottom of my heart, that wasnt my intent at all. While I may not agree with the suggested convention, I bear no ill will to anyone who identifies anywhere on the spectrum of trans.

5 Likes

Kinda, sorta, but not quite.

Originally, “Doctor” was the European equivalent of “Sensei” or “Sifu”. It meant “teacher”; a doctor was someone who knew their subject well enough to not just do it, but also teach it. In order to claim the title, you undertook advanced study at a university, beyond what was necessary just to practice a profession.

The modern medical profession evolved from a few separate lines of study. There were physicians who studied ancient Roman and Greek medicine at the universities, and barber-surgeons who practiced applied surgery (to explain the barber thing: in the medieval era, if you need someone to amputate a limb, who do you go to for a really sharp knife?). There were also apothecaries (who developed into pharmacists), plus the herbalists and midwives amongst the peasantry.

Despite the fact that most of the physicians had only done the minimum professional training (i.e. Bachelor/Masters, not a doctorate), they began to call themselves “doctors” in an attempt to differentiate their educated status from the “ignorant empiricism” of the barber-surgeons and apothecaries.

However, as time went on, people started to realise that “ignorant empiricism” beat the crap out of classical bullshit (it wasn’t until the 20th century that going to a physician actually improved your chances of survival). So, the status of the barber-surgeons rose, while the status of the classically-trained physicians fell somewhat (but not as much as it should have).

So: physicians call themselves “doctors”, but most of them actually aren’t. And surgeons call themselves “mister” (historically; a bit more gender diversity now, thankfully) as a fuck-you to the snobbery and marketing bullshit of pre-modern physicians.

7 Likes

My experience as a surgeon is amply demonstrated by the bloodstains on my gown. I shall not wash it, nor shall I glove my hands.

3 Likes

“The operation was a great success, but unfortunately the patient died”.

Plenty of mistakes were made by all. You can’t get much worse than clinging onto Galenic four-humours nonsense for 2,000 years, though. Mercury for syphilis, bleeding for everything, “laudable pus”, etc.

4 Likes

I’ve noticed multiple people in my circles now use singular they to refer to anyone (regardless of presentation) until a specific pronoun is requested. This can be less awkward than always asking pronouns on introductions, but if this catches on more generally, it could recreate something like the T-V distinction, marking the singular pronouns he / she / ze as familiar, and they as formal or respectful.

If this process continued, mirroring the evolution of second person pronouns in English*, one day he & she would be viewed as purely archaic; American southerners will use language constructions like all’s th’all to refer to multiple people in the third person.

(* I am going to start demanding that anyone who complains about singular “they” must, for consistency, stop using singular “you” and instead bring back “thou” as our grammar gods intended.)

5 Likes

don’t you need a barber for that?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.