Lula wins Brazil's presidential election, defeating far-right incumbent Bolsonaro

Originally published at: Lula wins Brazil's presidential election, defeating far-right incumbent Bolsonaro | Boing Boing

16 Likes

Hope it’s more peaceful than the US’s last transition

34 Likes

This morning, the corporate media in America has been asking “Will Bolsonaro challenge the legitimacy and integrity of the election?” as if it’s a real question where “no” is as likely an answer as “yes”. They’ll be asking the same about whichever fascist the GQP runs in 2024 if he loses.

34 Likes

Me too… But, TBH, I’ll only be more tranquil when the now-President is out of Palácio da Alvorada!

20 Likes

Woot!

7 Likes

Take that Nazis [I slap the air around me].

14 Likes

Yesterday here in Boston the sizable Brazilian immigrant population was driving around beeping their horns and flying their native flag. I suspected the election was the cause before I saw the news.

18 Likes
17 Likes

It’s too bad the vote was so close. Really makes me wonder WTF people are thinking.

With Lulu back in power, hopefully the Amazon will stop burning so bad. This is something that’s valuable, as-is, to the entire world, and not just humans, but all living things.

23 Likes

That police and military are scary and selectively stopping anyone they think might vote for Lula?

25 Likes

ETA Link

According to this news portal, of the 10 states with police roadblocks, 5 of them had a large increase in voter abstention.

22 Likes

CIA correction when?

7 Likes

A thin hope might be that Bolsonaro had the benefit of police and goons trying to suppress the (mandatory!) vote and that this gave him an inflated result at the highest point of his power and appeal and that he still lost to Lula.

21 Likes

Bolsonaro going Full Trump and calling for a January 6th style attack is a 100% certainty.

9 Likes

Bolsonaristas truck drivers block roads in 14 states. Drivers were attacked and they cars were vandalised. A lot of people couldn’t travel back home this monday.

A state wharehouse was attacked this morning in Rio. Stores were ransacked and burned.

10 Likes

There was some quote from him the day before the election that the person with the most votes wins. So he probably thought he had sufficiently stuffed/suppressed.

11 Likes

Welcome back Lula! Please stay safe, the world needs you, your country and the humanity you represent

5 Likes
5 Likes

Rather than plotting a coup or insurrection, Toledo joked that Bolsonaro was probably kicking a wall in the presidential palace, swearing at the first lady or practising yoga breathing techniques to remain calm. “I think he genuinely believed he would win. He believed his own lie. So he’s probably brooding, coming to grips with defeat.”

6 Likes

Yeah, Bolsonaro was pretty openly bribing the voters, and doing his damnedest to suppress Lula supporters. And he still lost. If it had been a properly fair election, I’d imagine he would have lost very clearly.

5 Likes