Bolsonaro concedes defeat in Brazil election

Originally published at: Bolsonaro concedes defeat in Brazil election | Boing Boing

21 Likes

I’m pleasantly surprised and very relieved for the people of Brazil.

48 Likes

Barack Obama GIF by NowThis

38 Likes

Not actually. He passed down a dubious message and his supporters are on the streets, blocking the roads. He didn’t congratulated Lula, didn’t recognized on public his defeat. Just thanked his voters, said the protests are “legitimate” and went away as his minister were going to work the transition.

25 Likes

Well, thank goodness.
Let’s hope it sticks without anymore drumpfy-type bullshit.

14 Likes

There’s been more than enough of that feigning disbelief about ‘stolen elections’; stability is a key requirement of a functioning society.

29 Likes

Adios ahole, don’t let the fascist screen door hit ya in the ass on the way out.

22 Likes

Christ, what an asshole

well good for him then, finally

8 Likes

I’m not convinced. This is second-hand info via the now-former vice-president. It would be nice to calm down the fascists, but this is not quite it.

16 Likes

Maybe Bolsonaro will loan Trump his big boy pants.

5 Likes

12 Likes

Bolsonaro doesn’t seem to me any bigger a person than Trump. I suspect the difference is more that in a country that had a coup in the 60s and stayed under military rule until the 80s, trying to overthrow the democracy is not going to be shrugged off, and with how things went he decided it wasn’t worth the attempt.

13 Likes

The pig flew!!!

7 Likes

After three days of chaos on the roads, Bolsonaro finally decided to ask His acolytes to leave the streets.

Mr. Bolsonaro begged for free roads:

“I want to appeal to you, clear the roads. This is not, in my opinion, part of these legitimate demonstrations. We are not going to lose our legitimacy here.”
“The closing of highways in Brazil harms people’s right to come and go, it’s there in our Constitution. And we’ve always been within these four lines. I have to respect the rights of other people who are moving, in addition to harming our economy"

Some news reports that some protesters were coerced by employers to close the roads. In other news we could see that the rebels took children and used them as human shields.

A conspiracy theory that has been circulating in Bolsonarist circles said that if Bolsonaro did not admit defeat within three days, in this case today, the army would leave the barracks, arrest all the bad guys and peace would reign in the country. I think a narrative with a similar plot was circulated among MAGA supporters in the United States.

18 Likes
8 Likes
10 Likes

They don´t want it. They want to reform the society in their own twisted image.

Today He asked His acolytes to leave the roads. Maybe He realized that despite the roadblocks causing a lot of inconvenience, he doesn’t have real support from the people. No crowds left their homes on these rainy days to ask the army to arrest the communists.

He put a lot of money on the wrong horse and ended up alone.

ETA news from BBC telling that the road blockades were hurting the economy of the states where rich farmers supported the President. I think that there is an idiom in english that describes this situation: He shoot himself in the foot.

15 Likes

He could still win if Mike Pence does the right thing.

8 Likes

He changed His strategy. He asked His backers to leave the roads, but his Kids are now exhorting the acolytes to protest in front of army barracks.

The Bolsonaro’s version of agitprop.

6 Likes

He might as well catch covid again for old time’s sakes.

2 Likes