Lynda Barry gets a guest-appearance in The Family Circus

They did talk about pole dancing once.

3 Likes

I just love Lynda. That’s all I have to say.

7 Likes

The Family Circus showed a little love to Zippy the Pinhead a couple decades ago.

6 Likes

http://www.tcj.com/bil-keane-an-appreciation/

Bill Griffith, auteur of Zippy the Pinhead, had a surprisingly wonderful interaction/crossover with Bil Keane.

I suppose someday I should scan all the original “Dysfunctional Family Circus” strips that I collected at bookstores in the SF Bay Area, before it was an internet thing. After all, I learned what a “shrimp job” is from them.

3 Likes

You gotta love not-me though. You just gotta.

3 Likes

I’d forgotten about the totem pole panel, but was aware of the mutual admiration between Bill G and Bil K.

Thanks for the interesting article.

Back in grad school I was a regular contributor to Dysfunctional Family Circus. Which was a . . . remarkably unspeakable exercise in alternate captioning…

Eventually Bil Keane told the admin to shut it down, but in such a nice way that I have grudging respect for the guy.

7 Likes

Dear Lord, I love me some Zippy the Pinhead.

What did he say?

This gives me hope that one day Garfield will finally meet Fritz.

2 Likes

Exact words, I’m not sure. Keane called the editor and said that while the family actually thought some of the alternate captions were very funny, they were going too far (really, DFC was pretty awful at times!) and the time had come to take it down.

And Keane sent him a signed thank you cartoon!

5 Likes

I would totally contribute to a Marlys Movie Kickstarter.
Lynda Barry is the bestest.

6 Likes

I don’t know. There’s a rough quality to the comics that wouldn’t translate to the screen easily.

Personally, I think it could happen if Lynda took tight control over the production. The same way some books come to life in my imagination, Marlys does that for me. But yes, it would be a minor miracle.

There’s a raw, emotional roughness that really wouldn’t translate beyond the graphic novel format.

I suppose it could be an animated movie, if it would be in the style of the indie animations I used to watch 20 years ago. I like that style, but it would confuse almost everybody. It would probably have to be live action. I’m imagining something like American Splendor.

2 Likes

Multi-panel, but I always wondered about Andy Capp. I think my grandfather might have read it (he, and his newspaper, both still referred to Snuffy Smith as “Barney Google” years after the name change). But I never knew anyone to read Mary Worth or Judge Parker.

Just found out that Funky Winkerbean still runs, somehwere, but that Boner’s Ark does not. (ha ha, “boner”)

1 Like

I always liked Family Circus, until I picked up a collection at a used bookstore. I went through that book in one sitting, and it’s probably why my A1C is too high 30+ years later.

Years ago, The Daily Texan (UT-Austin’ student paper) had a spoof of the Circus; I wish I could find it online. It had “Can you help little Jef Billy make it to the registrar’s office to register for next semester?” There was a dotted line all over campus, with the interesting things that had distracted Jef Billy(e.g. a preserved, dissected, and pregnant cat; a sealed doorway with the graffito “For the love of God, Montresor!”). When he reaches the registrar’s office it said “Oh no, Jef Billy! 5:00 PM! You missed the deadline! Better luck next semester!” A different cartoonist, in the same paper IIRC, drew The Famine Circus. (This was way back when Chris Ware was a Daily Texan cartoonist though I don’t think he was involved with either of the comics I’ve described.)

(edit)

2 Likes

The guy had class.

2 Likes

Yes, love is always cool.

Or as a contemporary German philosopher once put it: Sei doch nicht so kleinlich; Liebe ist nicht peinlich.

1 Like

OK I also remembered there was the one about the male stripper. Sorry, I guess I know a little too much about Family Circus.

3 Likes