Macy's pulls fat-shaming dinner plates after complaints

I’m still hoping for Hot Pockets wrappers that say “it’s no wonder you’re divorced”

9 Likes

Brilliant! I’ll take a case!

2 Likes

“Free Pizza Rolls with every Decree Nisi”

4 Likes

Ooh, you’ve just given me a fabulous idea:
Fail™ brand snacks, frozen meals, boxed wine, etc.
Marketing slogan: “Fail Better!”

8 Likes

Mr Plinkett already has dibs on being a spokesman for Pizza Rolls.

Some time ago, I saw a comment on this board by a man who said he only felt old when online dating because he thought women his age looked like his mom…and 35/40 year old and younger ladies didn’t want to date someone 15+ years their senior. He seemed totally oblivious to the fact that he no doubt reminded them of their dads.

16 Likes

I think there may have been a very large gender gap in the past, but it’s not so big anymore. Various fact sheets from eating disorder prevention groups are telling me that about half of teenage girls use unhealthy weight control strategies and about a third of boys do, that about 40% of people with binge-eating disorders are men, and men have about half the rate of Anorexia women do. When I hang around men they very often lament how fat they’ve become, talk about losing weight, needing to go to the gym more, etc.

I saw a study once where they gave women and men spreads of pictures to ask them who was the most attractive. Women tended to pick men near their own age and men tended to pick women who were in their early 20s, no matter how old the men were.

As a male-bodied person over 40 I find the whole thing bizarre and gross. When I look at a 20-year-old they look like kid to me (I mean, I know they are old enough to have sex with each other).

16 Likes

Yes! Sexism is definitely a part of this equation. Although in the last couple of decades I’ve seen articles citing more pressure for men to conform to unrealistic body standards, with a measured rise in male eating disorders and cosmetic surgeries.

I don’t think this is a good thing. While there is, I suppose, a certain equality in beating everyone with the same stick, I think it’s better to just stop beating people, period.

13 Likes

With all due respect, you’ve never been an overweight man. You indeed can find men who don’t give a fuck, but for every one you find, you will find dozens of others hating themselves and shunned by society as well. Some of it will try to shrug it off with self depreciating humor. But that is just the ye old male tactic of shoving down their feelings instead of confronting it.

To be clear, I am not saying men have it worse or trying to one up anyone’s pain or trials. I am saying that the assumption that a fat man doesn’t care what people and society think of him is not accurate. Nor do they get somehow a free pass from ridicule.

5 Likes

Whenever I see a 20 year old, I just think about how I was a full grown adult when they were born.

8 Likes

How do you know?

13 Likes

Yes! I’m not the only one! My perception of “attractive” is changing as I age. I mean, I can still appreciate when someone looks nice, but if somebody’s significantly younger than me, it feels kind of wrong to notice somehow.

But that’s my hang-up, I guess. There are plenty of people, men and women alike, who don’t think twice at dating a person fifteen or twenty years younger.

(Edit due to multi-quote error.)

10 Likes

Like John Pinette, John Candy, Chris Farley, etc. Funny fat men who didn’t make it past 50.

8 Likes

Agreed. Somewhere past the 90’s, I had a couple of double-takes in restaurants: “Duh fuh?! The waiter just brought our dinners on the charger plates!”

2 Likes

Well how else are women going to know that they are worthless if they weigh more than 125lbs? /s

12 Likes

John Pinette is a good example because - man - you can really see his pain through his humor if you take a second to think about his stand up. It’s the old trope of laughing on the outside, and crying on the inside.

4 Likes

That may be true, but I think men are less likely to get fat shamed, especially for being moderately overweight. Any fat shaming is wrong, but I do believe it tends to happen to women more often then men. And I do agree that any fat shaming is cruel.

But tastes in the kind of bodies people like to see is very different within our own culture, and very different between cultures.

11 Likes

Being a dick isn’t discussing things… it’s just being a bully. There is a huge difference between having a conversation about weight and health vs. mocking your fellow human beings.

21 Likes

tumblr_m040suCQ0D1rpglhvo1_400

12 Likes

banky-yes

And also @Nightflyer!

10 Likes