MAD magazine's Sergio Aragonés still at the drawing board at 85

Originally published at: MAD magazine's Sergio Aragonés still at the drawing board at 85 | Boing Boing

7 Likes

One of the bonus pleasures of every issue was finding Aragonés’ little sidebar vignettes.

[T]he recent college student was introduced to a relatively staid Madison Avenue office. Where was the whimsy? The MAD-cap frivolity? This was no clubhouse of high jinks.

10 Likes

I took this photo of him at ECCC in 2011
I really appreciated how he saw me taking the shot and pulled the face

12 Likes

Makes me want to go dig out my old comics now

14 Likes

(“marginal humor” was/is simply the best!)

10 Likes

One of the joys of Mad Magazine was after you had read it, you went back over it very carefully to make sure that you hadn’t missed any of the marginals.
I was somewhat disappointed that while the article mentions several other cartoonists at Mad, it fails to mention Don Martin, another favorite of mine.

10 Likes

Don Martin left Mad in the late 80s, I think? And the departure was not pleasant, on either side. I’m not surprised that those who stayed with Mad wouldn’t mention Martin. Bad blood all around.

5 Likes

It shocked me to read that Al Jaffee just retired 2 years ago and is now 101 years old!

5 Likes

He has a wonderful cameo as himself in Mike Grell’s Jon Sable Freelance ssries:

3 Likes

Al Jaffe and Sergio Aragonés are the Bob Dylans of cartooning. They’re both on never ending tours. So admirable. The way to do it.

3 Likes

As a kid in the 70s I barely noticed the marginals. Then when i realized they were a thing i went through all my back issues to check them out. It’s true; Humor does not need words.

1 Like

I know a guy who actually did that as a kid—on a trip to NYC his mom somehow talked the people at MAD Magazine to give him a tour where he made such an impression on one of the artists that the story got recounted in the magazine itself decades later. (I know the story is true because I heard it from my friend years before Rick Tulka recounted it in print.)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.