Mad Max mocks machismo

When you post such obvious falsehoods – why should we take you seriously?

Why should we waste real time on you?

You are not “arguing” in “good faith” – you are approaching with a freshly-ground axe, spoiling for a fight.

B: “HEY! HOW COME YOU ASSHOLES AREN’T TALKING ABOUT EQUALITY? WHY DO YOU HATE ME?!!! [waves axe around]”

A: f**k off, loser. The adults are talking.

B: “HEY! IT’S BECAUSE I HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION ISN’T IT!”

A: go away. We’re in the middle of book-club.

B: “WHY AREN’T YOU RADICALS WILLING TO MEET ME HALF WAY?!?!??!”

A: [flags post for moderation]

5 Likes

If anything, time will solve most of it just by the new generations being more excepting.

AND WOW. I have to respond to this privileged-soaked bullshit on its own. As someone who has literally risked arrest for LGBT civil rights: THIS IS NOT CORRECT. It takes actual WORK to make things better. You can’t just sit on your hands and hope that someone else will do it. The world doesn’t fucking work that way.

Let me guess: You’re a straight, white male who has never had to faced with any real hardship.

As a woman who has had an abortion in ARIZONA, where it’s even harder now to have an abortion, and it’s getting harder every. single. day: Your statement I am responding to is ignorant, and wrong.

But I’m sure the black men and women being gunned down by police just need to sit on their hands and hope the next generation if they are just nicer to the racist cops and their racist supports, I suppose… Yeah. That’ll work.

5 Likes

This was in response to @OtherMichael. I’m not even bothering with the other person anymore. I’m having issues replying to the correct person today, apparently!

If you aren’t willing to meet the other half that way, then it’s not equality you seek - it’s retribution.

This is my favorite part. It’s just another way to say “be nicer to those who oppress you! Stop being so mean and stop demanding to be treated like a human being so boldly and so loudly!”

If a core part of his babbling was the concept that feminist can be hostile then you pretty much have done nothing but to reinforce that idea.

Joe stated very clearly that a woman merely stating that she is a feminist means she is being hostile. And that’s the world we live in.

This isn’t just a thing that happens to feminists. Go look at any discussion about police brutality. The same sort of “JUST BE NICER! Just comply!” message is everywhere.

That’s what oppression IS, in a nut shell: Silencing the oppressed and marginalized by making it seem as if any demand for respect from the oppressed means they are being MEAN! and disrespectful! and angry! and can’t they just calm down??? We’re just trying to have a discussion here! Why can’t you be nicer to your oppressor? Why don’t you respect your oppressor more? Wow, you’re so mean and hysterical! We’re really trying to listen! If you’d just stop acting so CRAZY! You’re crazy. We can’t trust you. Therefore you’re wrong. Because you’re not being nice enough to me. :frowning: :frowning:

It’s the most advanced form of gaslighting there is.

5 Likes

I believe that may be one of the disconnects. Modern feminists do care, but they have, for lack of a better turn of phrase, a more important job. An analogy, I care about whales, but there is little I can do to help since they are number 17 on my list.

So I think you may be substituting not caring with Priorities. I could be wrong and I don’t want to tell you what to feel.

Also, keep in mind the repression that still happens today. That is what drives many priorities and also makes subjects like this deeply personal.

2 Likes

I’m not arguing. There isn’t anything to argue about here other than the fact someone new shows up and the masses pounce on him for not toeing the line.

You’re right it doesn’t. And I applaud and respect anything you have done or went through in order for the progression of society. As much as your actions directly affect things around you they also ripple outwards. People who are my parents age 70+ are very unlikely to change their opinions on these topics, a large majority of their life was not lived under these new “ideas”. (Yes I understand we talking about more than ideas, we are talking about real human lives, but for some people that connection will never be made.) The middle crowd, and especially young adults/teenagers are highly influenced by what they hear and see around them. As long as people like yourself are fighting for a more just future then these ideas will spread and in time society will change.

This is false. FEMINISM IS ABOUT EQUALITY

That’s what it is about. It’s about equality. Feminists care about equality because feminism IS a push for equality.

By the way, sexism also hurts men. This is a mantra sung by most modern feminists.

And this is something that Mad Max is ABOUT – that sexism hurts men AND women. Those War Boys were disposable cogs in the patriarchy of that world.

Just like many of our mostly-male soldiers are mere cogs in the patriarchy of our own world.

This was the whole point of the fucking movie!

And NUX perhaps the most realized character in the entire movie is about breaking free from the chains of the patriarchy.

I love Furosia, but honestly… Nux is the character that really hit me in the feels. When Nux kisses Capable on the cheek, I nearly fainted in my seat.

It was such a perfect moment. That story line, I think, really brings the entire movie together.

2 Likes

Hey, @Norzhi … you weren’t mansplaining, but if you need a really great example of a man trying to explain to a woman how to do and feel about feminism, well! Here you go!

There isn’t anything to argue about here other than the fact someone new shows up and the masses pounce on him for not toeing the line.

OH NO! How dare I not be super duper nice to a sexist trolley.

By the way, Joe wasn’t new. He and I have had words before along the same lines, and he was just as word-salady and sexist then, too. TRY AGAIN.

3 Likes

Bad parenting?

3 Likes

Maybe I wasn’t clear. Feminism is about equality, but isn’t necessarily about listening and responding to the trivial slights against the most powerful class. There are more important jobs, like achieving equality.

4 Likes

Ah, yes, that makes much more sense, I think I misread you. Thank you for the clarification.

4 Likes

No worries. I am a decent writer, but short form comments leave a lot up to individual interpretation. That’s why my edit history is so… Expansive :slight_smile:

3 Likes

2 Likes

Do you think most Americans know that Hugo Weaving is Australian? The big films he’s bee in here, he’s spoken with either a nondescript British or American accent… How many Americans have seen his master piece of a role in Priscilla, I wonder? Or for that matter how many people saw Russell Crowe in Romper Stompers? Cult films here.

4 Likes

Wait Elrond was in Priscilla? oh man I gotta go watch that again.

6 Likes

You’re assuming Americans can tell British and Australian accents apart. :smile: I regularly get asked where in Australia I’m from…

Which I guess means I at least haven’t developed that horrible mid-Atlantic voice (yet).

Edit: heh, Weaving is British-Australian. Never knew that. I knew Crowe was a Kiwi by birth, Wiki says he still is even if he says he’s an Aussie.

4 Likes

Yah, I know. Could practically see the glee.

That shit right there is why I call them the “fedora-brigade” when feeling nice and “nut-brigade” when not, and don’t talk directly to them. It’s hard to argue with intelligent people, it’s impossible with idiots.
And for some reason it feels less bad calling them nutters than what they want to call themselves. To me “meninist” sounds like a dentist wanting to be called a “toothologist” or something, you just can’t say that and take them seriously anymore.

But even a blind chicken might find a morsel, so I try and keep them un-agitated in the hopes that something positive might happen.

1 Like

Yeah, he STARS in it… he’s Priscilla! Weaving is one of those actors who just disappears into the roles he plays, kind of like Gary Oldman. I always forget that Oldman played Sid Vicious in Sid and Nancy, for example.

3 Likes

Well it has been quite a few years (damn near 20) since I saw it in the theater. I checked IMDB and was wow Guy Pearce as well.

3 Likes

They can’t… I’m under no illusions that my countrymen can tell the differences between British, Australian, New Zealand, South African accents and I’m certain most Americans wouldn’t know the difference between a Scottish and Irish accent if the folks involved were wearing national dress with flags draped across them.

That being said, can people elsewhere tell the difference between variants of American accents. I mean, Doctor Who, 6th Doctor’s companion, Peri…What was she actually doing? And Andrew Lincoln who plays Rick Grimes on the Walking Dead… I’m so sorry, but I don’t buy that he’s from Tennessee… that’s not an accent from Tennessee. It’s just not.

2 Likes

Oh, see I totally forgot Guy Pearce was in that! It’s been ages since I’ve seen it too.