Mad Max mocks machismo

True, but we claim the ones we like. :wink:

4 Likes

ā€œThe action of reprimanding or warning someoneā€ (with the pretense of moral superiority, in this context, I think)

1 Like

Ah, thanks. I was wondering if it might be that, but was not sure.

1 Like

I do, for the Big Bang Theory. It started out strong, comedically, but over the years, Iā€™ve found it to get progressively more boring. It also has been reliant on the ā€œdumb bimboā€ trope, which gets really obnoxious really fast. ā€œHa ha, yeah, itā€™s super funny that Pennyā€™s a dumb bimbo slut. And Leonardā€™s so much of a nerd he doesnā€™t even have a chance with a total whore tee-heeā€. And the autistic guy does stereotypically autistic stuff, then we never actually get to hear about whatā€™s really important to him, rather than the small quibbles that make his life difficult.

I gotta say they did improve characterization over the years. They arenā€™t so monochromatic now, but itā€™s still pretty clichĆ©d most of the time. I keep watching it, cuz the DVR keeps recording it, and itā€™s easy to follow, even if youā€™re not paying attention (thank you, condescending studio laugh track, if it werenā€™t for you, I wouldnā€™t know what is and isnā€™t funny/sentimental/boo-worthy).

3 Likes

Yeah, when I saw the trailer and one of the Warboyz exclaims ā€˜Oh, what a lovely day!ā€™ I immediately thought of Old Nick. And although he tends towards the brooding and gothic, his literary and film output demonstrates a taste for a bit of the ultraviolence.

I reckon heā€™d be a better warlord/kingpin type. the 5 quiet minutes in the film would be in his inner sanctum - and, like Auntie Entity, heā€™d walk away in the end.

It most definitely is a thing most of the left has not taken as seriously as it should. It is like after the Regan presidency, the progressives in the country have abandoned all hope and have been reduced to infighting and purity-policing, giving cancers like MRA time to gestate. When we can get behind something pretty unilaterally with clear victory conditions - like gay marriage - it is something that happens with astonishing quickness and efficacy (for the US anyway, which means it still takes a few election cycles to build up a head of steam, and thereā€™s always pockets where it doesnā€™t quite take).

But Iā€™ll leave all that for my senatorial bid. :wink:

2 Likes

5 Likes
4 Likes

OK, now I really hate you! I donā€™t even have to click on that to have bad flashbacks to previous viewings.

1 Like

Donā€™t be fooled by the trollies above ā€“ itā€™s got a pretty dirty meaning.

1 Like

Like the aforementioned Mel Gibson, Russell Crowe and Mike from Neighbours (and Nicole Kidman?), and Tony Abbott (Julia Gillard?)?

#Bad Parenting?

2 Likes

You are pretty close to correct and that wasnā€™t mansplaining at all. :smile:

1 Like

I appreciate the response. But it wasnā€™t by accident, I assure you. But I get ya.

Also, donā€™t listen to @OtherMichael, he has a dirty mind. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Iā€™m just going to watch this without sound because I still freakinā€™ love that dress.

YOU SHOULD WATCH BATTLE CREEK!! Which is on CBS. And which streams on their website. Itā€™s a subversive and buddy-cop procedural and itā€™s loads of fun.

2 Likes

@OtherMichael has been awarded the Dirty Mind badge. I claim the Surrealist badge. Which badge do you claim, and how do we get them into Discourse?

3 Likes

Exactly.

Fuck that noiseā€¦cause when someone shows up with a different opinion they donā€™t get shown how itā€™s wrong, why itā€™s wrong, or what they could possibly do to make the world a better place. Nope. The enraged crowd proceeds to pounce and pummel the commenter into submission, and then everyone gives each other high fives.

Iā€™ve tried to have ā€œthatā€ conversation with Marilove before, and before, and beforeā€¦and it never goes anywhere. In fact at this point Iā€™m pretty sure the majority of middle aged men know 99% of the facts about feminism - what no one ever says is anything having to do with solving any of it. If anything, time will solve most of it just by the new generations being more excepting.

And there it is. The reason I stopped trying to have conversations, especially about hot button topics like feminism on BB. I said it before in this thread - Iā€™m 100% behind the ideas/concept of equality, yet modern feminism rarely seems to care about that. If you arenā€™t willing to meet the other half that way, then itā€™s not equality you seek - itā€™s retribution.

1 Like

Are we still talking about @Joe? Are you aware that heā€™s merely a babbling, incoherent trolley merely repeating or even copy-pasting incoherent MRA talking points?

I CANNOT FUCKING WIN. Iā€™m apparently not supposed to feed the trollies but then when I essentially tell a trolley to fuck himself then Iā€™m not properly engaging in the trolley.

In fact at this point Iā€™m pretty sure the majority of middle aged men know 99% of the facts about feminism - what no one ever says is anything having to do with solving any of it.

What does this have to do with middle aged men?

3 Likes