MAGA snake eating its tail: GOP reps in trouble regardless of how they voted on the Speaker debacle

He also almost introduced universal, or near universal, healthcare to the US. But Ted Kennedy rejected the deal because he didn’t think it went far enough. I often wonder how different things would be today had Kennedy taken that deal. But hell, the bar has been moved so far that the far right asshats today consider even Reagan to be a RINO.

8 Likes

Yep… :rage:

I think Ralph Nader once said that Nixon was our last “liberal consensus” president… I think he was right on that.

12 Likes

it seems fair. if they want to lead, then they have to show themselves capable of leading. ( narrator: and they cant. )

5 Likes

I remember reading an interview with Kennedy shortly before his death in which he said that his biggest regret about his time in government was that he wished he had taken Nixon up on his universal health care proposal.

5 Likes

I guess it depends on whether we want to define “dysfunctional” as the point when the GOP stopped effectively serving the American people or the point in time when the GOP got so fucking nuts that they completely undermined their own party’s ability to pursue its core agenda.

Reagan did a lot of evil shit but he got a lot of things done that Republicans supported. This group can’t even get on the same page about who is supposed to lead them into the new fascist hellscape.

6 Likes

That is an excellent point. They seem to only be one party for the purposes of getting elected

2 Likes

hmm…
you do get it.

2 Likes

This would all be really hilarious and, in way, welcome (if they’re busy eating their own they can’t hurt the rest of us) if the government wasn’t 40 days from shutting down.

1 Like

I just want to hide in this post thread and savor all of the anecdotes of what could have been. It’s probably 6am talking, but pondering on the alternative timelines and feeling nostalgic for a path not taken is the calmest I’ve felt in a while. Thank you all for making the dysfunction junction so completely transparent.

5 Likes

Oh, option one. Definitely. No contest, really.

1 Like

He gave commies free soda pops! (As VP, but still.)

TCEP19pic1

A personal favourite of mine: the Apollo–Soyuz Test Project. Not to mention SALT.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.