MAGA snowflakes triggered by Pink Floyd's new logo

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

9 Likes

Techno and the “raver” subculture seem like the last major addition to the musical landscape to me, but what a coincidence :open_mouth: that’s the last time I was young and paying attention

6 Likes

Nice, a Spinal Tap reference too :grinning:

3 Likes

Look for the one with no eyebrows.

2 Likes

In addition to all the problems pointed out by other happy mutants, I’d like to add that penises are famous for becoming aroused from random stimuli. And mere arousal upon the consumption of visual homosexual content does not mean the person is homosexual. People find many things arousing that they would never actually want to do

6 Likes

Well said!

30 Rock Reaction GIF

4 Likes

And it looks like it uses the Freund-Blanchard “peter meter”. That alone is enough to file it under Junk Science

9 Likes

gathered together and grooving with several species of small furry animals and a Pict!

11 Likes

The pole is brown. Nuh, uh.

3 Likes

To add to some of the objections regarding this study, Kurt Freund, the man who invented penile plethysmography in the 1950s, was actively advocating against the concept of labeling men as homosexual on the basis of the instrument by the 1960s. He argued that it only detected the capacity for arousal in the presence of certain stimuli, not that such arousal was itself diagnostic. He also argued against the concept that homosexuality should be a diagnosis, stating very early on that it was merely a variant of healthy sexuality. But that’s less a critique of that particular study and more recognition that Freund was a badass rebel.

11 Likes

Thanks for the reminder that I actually should begin listing all film/tv productions that have a White male character courting a beautiful (gotta be beautiful) Non-White woman and compare that to a list for Non-White male characters courting White women. Wild Guess Ratio. 100000:1

(“Courting” stands in for “kissing” and, by inference, “having sex with”)

2 Likes

A crap, homophobic study uses problematic metrics! Say it ain’t so! /s

You check in enough to these studies proving something that’s homophobic, transphobic, or what have you, and there are always flaws like this… but people still pull this BS out as “evidence” while claiming they are relying on science…

7 Likes

I’m not suggesting anyone “blame the gays” for homophobia, and I was really just reflexively posting something I remembered reading and finding amusing. I’m perfectly happy thinking these ignorant guys react negatively because it makes them uncomfortable that their member wiggles a little when they’re exposed to something that makes them uncomfortable. I like the idea of them not understanding this is just natural physical response, and they’re the ones who are afraid they might be a little gay.

2 Likes

You find homophobia amusing?

4 Likes

Oh, come on, I’m not going to engage too far into this line of discussion, but yes, I sometimes find it amusing when people I dislike humiliate themselves with their own foolishness. No, I don’t find actual behaviors with actual victims amusing.

1 Like

The problem with this study was that was homophobic AND a poorly done study trying to prove that the “real” source of homophobia is gay men themselves, when the truth is that it’s caused by bigoted people who are for the most part, straight and have no qualms about their own sexuality. When you place it on closet cases, then you are basically saying that the LGBQT+ is “doing it to themselves” rather than placing the blame where it belongs - on a society that prioritizes straight white men over everyone else. It’s hardly “foolish” to point out the very real problems with that study, and the homophobia that is underlying it.

This shit matters. They are coming after the LGBQT+ community, they are coming after POC, they are coming after women who are not subserivent, they are coming after immigrants. Passing off shit that is fully intended to place the blame ON the victims is going to get real push back here, because enough of the community here is made up of people in some or other marginalized groups, or of those of us who give a shit about the people in our lives who are in marginalized groups, and understand that this shit is no longer a joke, but is in fact a part of the problem we’re facing.

9 Likes

I was specifically referring to the homophobes as the ones being foolish. Aside from that, I have no argument with most of what you’ve said. I can say that growing up in a very conservative rural environment I was surprised finding a handful of the more outspoken community homophobes in the gay community when I discovered that community myself. This is also not proof of anything more than that some outspoken homophobes are gay.

Anyway, I agree that it was sloppy of me to post that ‘study’, at least without having framed it with some words. I know the shit matters.

2 Likes

Just to throw one further confounding variable in here, this assumes a binary that does not exist. If 1 is heterosexual, 10 is homosexual and 5 is bisexual, there are a shitload of numbers (infinities, in fact) in between there. When dealing with humans, or most living things for that matter, the only binary is alive or dead, and even that is questionable at times.

15 Likes

I still vividly remember arguing about my middle school science teacher about whether violet was basically purple. “How can it be???” he said, “purple has red in it, and red is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum!” Ok, yes, but they still look the same to our trichotomy human eyes…

3 Likes

Hate is not “foolish”… It’s hatred. Stop downplaying it and stop pushing BS explanations for it.

8 Likes