MAGAville tries to cancel Black History Month (and others)

Originally published at: MAGAville tries to cancel Black History Month (and others) - Boing Boing

4 Likes

More than any other state if you’re going by total numbers rather than percentage of the population.

Huntington Beach is the first place I ever saw a bunch of angry young skinheads driving around in a car emblazoned with a giant Confederate flag.

16 Likes

White supremacists consider the affluent beach towns of Orange County to be safe spaces for spewing their garbage. For example:

The city cops might not like it when outsiders come in and cause trouble, but as we see in this case there are plenty of sympathetic locals willing to vote in politicians who’ll give hate the force of law.

6 Likes

They’ve really run out of boogeymen to thinly veil their hate with. This isn’t supposedly to protect the children, or preserve jobs, or even to fight the blood-drinking lizard people living in the non-existent basement of a pizza parlor. This is just them straight up, shamelessly admitting “We’re Nazis and we want to erase and eradicate the history, achievements, rights and eventually lives of anyone who isn’t exactly like us.”

12 Likes

Not surprising at all… the hardcore movement out there centered on communities like huntington beach (Black Flag was from there), and there were quite a few people who just wanted to fuck shit up. Some ended up as embracing Tom Metzger and becoming part of White Aryan Resistance…

11 Likes

Thus the weird and disturbing “Surf Nazi” subculture.

7 Likes

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

The popular narrative about the rise of hardcore tends to be viewed through a very positive lens, but I’ve seen enough sources of the time to know that there were really problems and issues of violence around the rise of HC out there. Up in NYC, too. Lots of good folks in the scene, but lots of just dudes looking to be violent for no reason and the racism ended up being an extra added bonus for many.

9 Likes

Trust the predictable immigrant from Ecuador to sign on with the bigots in suits.

ummm, what?

8 Likes

Dr House Idk GIF

8 Likes

But White History Year will continue as always, right?

7 Likes

I’m guessing that’s a reference to the mayor of H.B., who is the daughter of immigrants. According to the bio on her campaign page her father was from Ecuador and her mother from Mexico, although she herself was born and raised in Los Angeles.

Doesn’t seem to be particularly relevant to the conversation. There are plenty of examples of children of immigrants who support hateful policies.

Edit to add: the ADL has been pointing out her bigotry since at least 2018, before she became mayor:
https://orangecounty.adl.org/news/anti-defamation-league-joins-call-for-hb-finance-commissioners-removal/

7 Likes

“Predictable immigrant from Ecuador” has a nasty racist ring to it. I would hope for some clarification.

10 Likes

The Office Yes GIF

9 Likes

11 Likes

13 Likes

In the US, this is every second beyond Thanksgiving day.

I vowed this year that I will wear Halloween socks every day from the first day xmas crap shows up in any store until New Years Day from here on out. This year, shit showed up in August. If there’s any sort of war centering on xmas, it’s December 25 against everything else.

9 Likes

I used to take PCH through HB daily to my job in another expensive, conservative beach town, Newport Beach. Several years ago the frames of all the the billboards lining PCH through HB had swastikas spray painted on them. It took at least 6 months for them to be removed from the frames.

2 Likes

We see it a lot here in Australian. Every wave of immigrants want to pull the ladder up behind them and “stop all those filthy foreigners from ruining the place”

I cannot understand the cognitive dissonance required for this line of thinking

5 Likes

Jon Stewart had a good rant on that phenomenon on The Daily Show once, giving many examples from the earliest days of the U.S. It’s the same as it ever was, sadly.

8 Likes