Hillcrest High students walk out after being told to told to limit Black History Month program

200 students walked out of class at an Alabama high school after they were reportedly told their student-led Black History Month program could not reference slavery or the civil rights movement “because one of our administrators felt uncomfortable.”

25 Likes

Tantrum Crying GIF

18 Likes

A little context:

Also this asshole:

Alabama remaining true to form.

18 Likes

kids are alright chloe x halle reaction pack GIF

16 Likes

Good for these kids!
It’s so annoying that the school is denying the order was ever given. Makes me wonder what would happen in the situation if the kids just went ahead with their planned programming, then when the school tried to punish them they asked, “where did you say we couldn’t cover this stuff?”
Just like the whole “pictures or it didn’t happen,” I feel like for stuff like this, if it’s not somehow documented, it doesn’t count. And if it is documented, it makes the denials trickier.
I bet these kids think that now, too.

10 Likes

I never quite put it together, but this juxtaposition makes it obvious (though it should have been obvious on a moment’s reflection): the reason the GQP are so particularly rabid about attacking civil rights education is that it furthers two of their agendas: destroying civil rights, and destroying public education.

13 Likes

The Office Yes GIF

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.