Maggie Gyllenhaal told 37 is "too old" to play love interest of a 55-year-old dude

No one has stated that is not the case. That is sort of obvious and part of the problem, although some of it of course is I’m sure the mostly white males of Hollywood execs and producers and writers are creating a fantasy for themselves as well. You seem to want to just wrap it up into “that’s what audiences want!” but it’s really much more than that.

5 Likes

Don’t take this wrong, but she looks older than 37. She could pass for 47, easily.

And, if you want men to see your movie, you had better have a young looking attractive female lead.

I’m not saying that’s right. I’m saying those are the facts.

Movie making, like every other business, is there to make the most money possible for their product.

That’s why Victoria Secrets doesn’t use MaMa June in their ads, they use Candice Swanepoel. If they used MaMa, they wouldn’t sell as many bras and panties as their competitors.

There will be, and still are, roles for Ms. Gyllenhaal because she has honed her craft and is good at what she does. Unfortunately, not this one.

2 Likes

I wonder what you think a 37 year old woman “should” look like.

16 Likes

In a movie with a lot of problems, that was the lowest point.

2 Likes

ZOMG the LULZ!!! You’re going to fit right in around here with that kind of dry irony!!! You sound just like the kind of clueless idiot you are clearly parodying!!! Great work!!!

20 Likes

2 25 year olds seems the theme.

3 Likes

There isn’t anything factual about this - it is purely subjective. Attractive to whom? There are billions of people, so how are these jokers going to guess which ones I’d like to see?

Which is why people who like movies should watch movies made by people who know how to make them (artists) , and not business people. How can the public at large know so much about what makes a good actor if most of them can’t do it?

Then people are stupid, because they should be buying lingerie for how it looks on themselves, not on whoever is in the ads. VS clothes are junk anyway.

6 Likes

I’ll have what you and yours are having.

Or

Don’t take this wrong, but you sound like 14 year-old boy. You could pass for a 12 year-old, easily.

Or:
“Paul_Allen - Last post 51 mins ago - Joined 1 hour ago”

11 Likes

Well, I certainly can’t take it right.

14 Likes

##BINGO!

9 Likes

But, seriously, and sincerely: Have you ever considered that your idea of what a 37 year old woman “should” looks like might be skewed by how women are represented in our media? Maggie Gyllenhaal is a beautiful woman who is clearly in great shape (and not underweight). She either has fantastic skin or wears really great makeup, and is clearly an attractive woman.

But she isn’t “classically beautiful” – whatever that means – and she hasn’t had any plastic surgery done to make her look more “Hollywood hot”. She’s a little “quirky” looking by “Hollywood standards” which, when you think about it, is pretty fucked up, because she’s fucking gorgeous and has great genetics. As well as plenty of money, which gives her access to the best foods, trainers, doctors, stylists, and clothing options.

Her brother is also very handsome but in a sort of quirky way and no one gives him this much shit. Isn’t that interesting?

I honestly have no idea what you mean when you say she looks older than 37. Is it because she’s a little quirky looking, has dark hair that’s not dyed bright blond, doesn’t have fake books, and isn’t wearing ridiculously tall heels and revealing clothing and flipping her hair and batting her eyes at the camera and acting demure and giggly? Is it because she’s professional and polished and has something to say? And isn’t afraid to say it?

I think it is, honestly.

17 Likes

First, no. She looks fantastic.

Second, if you really do think she could pass for 47 it’s probably because you’ve been conditioned to seeing Hollywood cast young actresses even in roles that would normally call for older ones. Like how we’ve become so conditioned to seeing 20something actors portraying high school kids that now it feels strange to see an actual 14-year-old playing a freshman.

10 Likes

As a 37 year old myself, all I have is an insult: you are full of doody.

14 Likes

Gyllenhaal is a talented actress who has very much carried a few okay movies into greatness. Anyone who fails to cast her is making a mistake unless they’re looking for say, a twelve year-old boy. Possibly even then.

I’m not going to get into the distraction of whether she’s attractive, because it’s inherently subjective, and isn’t really relevant to the question of age. I will say that for any actor or actress, there is no such thing as universal appeal. Besides, I thought we weren’t done making fun of Woody Allen for creating romantic comedies with conspicuous age-gaps between the male and female leads. If she didn’t audition well, create the right feel for the part, and was told, “We’re going in another direction,” it would be one thing. Instead she was told she was too old to be a man’s love interest at ten years his junior. Need I point out that she already very successfully pulled it off with Will Ferrell?

7 Likes

I can’t stand women with fake books.

14 Likes

Ew. Unless they lead to secret passageways behind fireplaces. Then all is forgiven.

21 Likes

Well, @Paul_Allen uses Victoria Secret models as an example, as if they are normal human woman that aren’t instead genetic anomalies who are often very, very thin and very, very toned and done up in a LOT of make-up and airbrushed and sprayed with fake tanner and their hair is dyed and everything is plucked and their teeth are made perfect and they use special cameras and photography techniques and digital editing to make them look even more “perfect” than they already are…

7 Likes

Oh fuck, I kept seeing “boobs”! I read my comment again and your reply like three times… Oy. I am not wearing my glasses lol. Sorry. I deleted my comment. I’m a doof. You were hilarious and I fucked up your joke.

5 Likes

I enjoyed some of Insterstellar, but at the end, I was left with the glaring statement that the woman needed the man to be successful. Matthew McHoweveryouspellit’s character could have been a woman, and the movie might have been just a little better for it.

1 Like

So he needs to add a 7-year-old to his third arm?

Oh geez, that really came out wrong.

9 Likes