Maggie Gyllenhaal told 37 is "too old" to play love interest of a 55-year-old dude

i was surprised that Johnson wasn’t younger at the time; Bibi was depicted as far too young ( mid teens, perhaps) for Bond.

(and yes, I’ve read the MASH novel)

2 Likes

SPOILERS for Interstellar ahead!

I dunno… The real hero of that story is still his daughter, and I thought the story was written well in terms of how fathers relate to their daughters, which was a running theme. I mean, it could have been a story about how mothers relate to their daughters, or sons for that matter, but it would have been a different story, and I’m not convinced it would have been a better story. And in the end, it was the other female lead that also saved humanity… but you need to think ahead on the timeline because it’s not explicit.

3 Likes

FWIW, Bond outwardly acknowledged that Bibi was too young for him, he exhibited zero intention of sleeping with her and he rejected her advances on more than one occasion.

Eighteen years his junior. Literally young enough to be his daughter.

7 Likes

I’ve seen the movie, I rather liked it, and still do, but The Spy Who Loved Me is far superior.

2 Likes

Did you see her excellent work in the 8-part mini-series called “The Honourable Woman” which came out last year?

1 Like

Amy Shumer nails it. MG has reached her Last Fuckable Day:

7 Likes

I did. That was awesome.

1 Like

A lot of people don’t like it (or claim to not like it), but Avatar is the perfect example of what you’re saying. It is the highest grossing movie of all time, and yeah, was not just all sci-fi action movie basically aimed at dudes. I mean, it was FernGully for Christ’s sake, and I think we know a lot of girls like that movie. But it had enough action and did make good use (especially for its time) of stereoscopy, so guys were also attracted to it.

1 Like

My former roommate took a screenwriting class with the same UCLA professor who mentored Colin Higgins (the screenwriter for Harold and Maude). When Higgins presented a draft of the screenplay as his master’s thesis the professor told him flat out that it would never be made into a film, let alone a successful one. What audience would want to watch a romance between a young man and an old woman? Yuck!

To his credit the professor now shares that story as an example of why all aspiring filmmakers should take “conventional wisdom” (including his own) with a grain of salt.

9 Likes

This may be one of those “exceptions that prove the rule”, but I rather enjoyed Being Julia. Annette Benning was 46, and Shaun Evans was 24.

Both of John Cusack’s “love interests” in [The Grifters][1] were older than he.

John Cusack - 24
Annette Bening - 32
Anjelica Huston - 39

(Give or take a year, I didn’t get so specific as to calculate by birthday.)
[1]: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099703/

4 Likes

Neither did I.

1 Like

22 year age gap. Literally old enough to be her father.

1 Like

Actually, as I recall, Bond rejected her advances.

Edit: Someone beat me to this one…

I’m not. You can leave out the “love interest” and the kaiju, and I’ll watch this movie, whatever it is.

Does anyone know the plot of the movie for which she was rejected? Is it about a man who falls for a much younger woman?

1 Like

STILL FEELING LIKE A DOOF for missing this fantastic typo joke. For the record.

1 Like

Preach it! Like, sometimes you’re just getting ready for some hot and heavy intellectual intercourse, she’s acting all Wilde and you can barely keep your Dickens on the shelf, then just as you’re ready to Faulkner… BAM! You spot a pair of these:

Total punch in the Vonnegut.

9 Likes

But the power of love saves the galaxy in the Lensman series. It even has its own chapter in one of the books.

1 Like