Magical History Tour

I must confess these are my favourite:

giphy (7)

5 Likes

I always thought that the House of Hohenzollern was part of Ball culture. Could have sworn I saw them at the Night of a Thousand Gowns.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Cold and wet environments were cited as a possible reason for bad coronavirus outbreaks in meat processing plants, too. Hopefully, weather predictions and statistics gathered from the beginning of the year to now can be used to figure out the role of climate in the current pandemic.

3 Likes
3 Likes

He also promised to donate his salary. Huh, didn’t know that. Plus ça change…

3 Likes

That asshole never worked a day in his life.

2 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes

Thread:

Book:

4 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

One thing I hate most in the popular reception of history and pre-history is what I call stoner history. The brand of pseudo-science that tries to prove that anything that was “cool” or weird in pre-history and history was because the ancients were, like, totally on drugs, man. Whether that be dancing mania caused by ergot, Berserkers being on fly mushrooms or even Tolkien writing the lord of the Rings as a weed parable.

The second thing I hate is amber room mania. Just let it go. It’s gone. And if it does still exist it will be found in uncatalogued crates in the basement of the Eremitage, not in Polish caves, train tunnels or shipwrecks.

Polish divers hope Nazi shipwreck holds key to Amber Room treasure

The thing I hate most about history is people telling stories about what they hate most about history stories.

1 Like

Sorry, professional malady

8 Likes

The Loudest Air Raid Siren Ever Built Used Chrysler V8 Engines To Warn Americans Of Impending Nuclear Doom

5 Likes

I only knew they used big V8s for sirens thanks to Robbie Coltrane.

4 Likes

“Like” is probably the wrong word, but… “The first production models were manually controlled. A seat was provided, requiring a single brave soul to climb aboard, Slim Pickens-style, rotating until the nuclear flash relieved both man and machine of duty.” is just so early Cold War.

6 Likes

Also, I didn’t know about the Coltrane series, thanks!
(I only knew the one with Chris “Ace Rimmer” Barrie.)

1 Like