Magical History Tour

1 Like
5 Likes

IIRC Omaha Beach was nastier than it had to be for the assaulting troops (not nasty enough for the defenders); the planners thought the naval gun support too light and not all of the planned bombing runs were executed to full effect.

I can’t really fault a war photographer for not being in the thick of the first wave to shore at Omaha Beach; he was there to tell a story and I’m personally happy to cut him a lot of slack for just showing up.

Allied casualties at Juno and Utah Beaches were much lower…

3 Likes

Belgium to return tooth of assassinated Congolese leader Patrice Lumumba to family

2 Likes
6 Likes
1 Like

I remember seeing John Stockwell speak in college. This would’ve been roughly 1986. He spoke of many things but I remember his concern with using assets and then leaving them to fend for themselves. It greatly bothered him. I always felt that the movie Spy Game tapped into his writings.

2 Likes
2 Likes

The Battle of Britain couldn’t have been won without UK’s homegrown tech innovations

https://www.theregister.com/2020/09/16/battle_of_britain_80th_anniversary/

Technology played its part, mostly behind the scenes – yes, we mean the backroom boffins – in equipping Britain to hold firm and defeat the Germans. As today’s commemorations focus on the pilots and ground crew who saw off the Luftwaffe, spare a thought for the technologists whose efforts also saved the western world.

2 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes
10 Likes

Tangent:

3 Likes

He is best known for having designed pictograms for the 1972 Summer Olympics

Tangent? Tangentialebene! :grin:

5 Likes

Wiesbaden

6 Likes

Friedberg had the same lights up when I was there last year.

4 Likes