Magical History Tour

6 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes

And west of Athens in the late 80s and 1990s…

4 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes

One of my favorite songs is about the wren boys.

4 Likes

I looked the singer up…

Wow!

7 Likes
4 Likes

Just how heavily Irish music was influenced by North African music (from where the original monks that brought Christianity to Ireland most likely came - Patrick being by way of an imperialist appropriation) is debated in Irish musicology. I’ve read a few article over the decades. It really was a “more research is needed” topic though. Must look into it to see are there any developments in the field.

And thanks @NukeML I wasn’t aware of him. Ireland has long been stealing Londoners to enrich our culture! I only vaguely remember the ran boys (how it’s pronounced) from visiting at Christmas in darkest rural Cavan.

I saw socially distanced mummery on the telly the other day though.

5 Likes

Honestly, I can see that as being an area of scholarly interest for me in a different life! I’m firmly rooted in modern historiography, but one thing that does interest me in ancient history is just how interconnected people actually were back then. I was recently wondering about monasticism and if the ultimate roots for that were in India and spread to the Mediterranean region, where Christian monks eventually picked it up.

5 Likes

Oh Dogger how your name has fallen…

8 Likes

Not sure about how this will go in Philly in a few days, but there’s a lot of controversy on the subject:

4 Likes