Magical History Tour

It’s the 80th anniversary of the Warsaw Ghetto uprising:

13 Likes
9 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes

Laughter Wtf GIF by ADWEEK

6 Likes

Minor error: The map has the Viking settlement in Prince Edward Island, not Newfoundland.

(Perhaps that’s why Anne had red hair?) :smile:

4 Likes

L’Anse aux Meadows was just a little stop where they could fix ships, though. It has lots of iron but the land is barren and the famous vines are missing. Actual Vinland was probably further south (the linked article actually shows both versions).

8 Likes
6 Likes

4 Likes

(Cursing because I’m anti-“divine right of kings”)

6 Likes

I like the historical graffiti.

10 Likes

:thinking: That really needs stripping and refinishing, it’s looking a bit beat-up…

8 Likes

:thinking: Should get it appraised on Antiques Roadshow first, though. I’ve seen clips of folks in tears who ruined an item’s value by preferring paint over patina.

Veneer! :tumbler_glass:
Happy Season 1 GIF by Paramount+

6 Likes

Meh. Call me an iconoclast (no, please, do) but I love the pyramids at the Louvre and this getting all precious about something that’s obviously falling apart? Take a bunch of photos and fix it up. Or better, IKEA will probably sell you a new one that’s going to be more comfortable anyway. In another 700 years or so it can join the old one in the basement, if the old one isn’t just dust by then.

2 Likes

Just give it to a Youtube “restorer”, and get them to video the process of filling up the graffiti with two-part epoxy filler, then belt sanding it back to smooth before a couple of coats of hard-wearing enamel paint in fire-engine red. Make it a statement piece.

8 Likes

I would love if the stone was stolen again.

7 Likes

Vandalism + time = history
Garbage + time = artefacts

4 Likes

60s flintstones GIF

Ok, which one of you kids drew on those cave walls again?

9 Likes

Closing statement:
“The monarchy is ending. And when that happens, let’s not be bitter. Let’s get out in the streets and raise a bottle to them. Filled with petrol, and a burning rag.”

9 Likes

Like the sailor’s carving into the rock in Tagus Cove in 1836? (Isabela Island, Galapagos)

Unfortunately there’s a lot of more recent idiocy too.

7 Likes