Magician rips his assistant's head off, onlookers flip out

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/03/magician-rips-his-assistants.html

3 Likes

its all fun and games until…someone looses their head?

13 Likes

Quite literally the oldest trick in the book

http://qi.com/infocloud/magic-tricks

6 Likes

A little uncomfortable that the “plot” of this magic trick is some kind of supernatural domestic violence…

60 Likes

If the audience doesn’t consent to being entertained, is it still “magical”?

24 Likes

Pretty sure it’s called “black magic” at that point.

I bet necromancers have a lot of screaming when they perform magic as well.

13 Likes

I wonder if that magician could likely be successfully sued if an onlooker had a heart attack and died.

(Any non-armchair lawyers out there?)

7 Likes

I know this is performance art and all, but if it causes other people to become truly afraid or enraged, accidents can happen as they chase or flee.

23 Likes

…or until one performs this trick where firearms are allowed

17 Likes

The bus scene seems somewhat staged to me.

16 Likes

Yeah, especially given the icky DV aspect, this felt a little too much like involving nonconsenting strangers in your kink scene.

14 Likes

That trick would be just as funny if instead of pulling a strangers head off, he was flashing people from under a raincoat. People who’ve ponied up admission to a theater have shown consent, these audiences clearly have not.

10 Likes

“It’s just a prank, bro.”

But really, uh, you know. I think we can all use some weirdness like this in our lives. The panic is real, but the release afterwards is also real. I bet there were people laughing their asses off when they figured it out.

Like this poor lady… who thought someone mailed her a bomb.

4 Likes

Yes, I agree, but the question still stands as a legal what-if.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

If there is one thing I have learned from my years of hanging out with jugglers and magicians, is that magicians can be evil evil pranksters.

12 Likes

Yep. And clear consent here:

5 Likes

The bus was a bit much.

2 Likes

I was at a party with Penn and Teller once and learned that it’s best to not heckle them. (I wasn’t the heckler)

16 Likes

Yeah, this whole scenario is not much fun. Could be a lot cooler with some humor instead of the dark drama.

7 Likes

Only if they’re successful, I suppose. Otherwise a pretty quiet job.

9 Likes