Magician rips his assistant's head off, onlookers flip out

I think a good rule of thumb for pranks is “a good prank leaves the ‘victim’ laughing or delighted afterward.” If the unwitting audience is left shaken/traumatized/nauseated instead then it’s a case of humor fail.

17 Likes

As far as head-dislocation pranks go, I like this one a lot better:

15 Likes

Aw man - tell me more about this party.

3 Likes

I think that dude on the bench near the end broke his hip. I was laughing pretty hard up until that point.

4 Likes

Ha ha …except that a decapitation on a bus actually happened in Canada a few years ago . We’re a bit sensitive about that kind of thing.

11 Likes

Christmas party for a company called NewTek, it was around 1994ish. I was talking with somebody who was really into the church of bob while Penn was in earshot telling very rude jokes. I don’t remember what the heckler said but the moment reminded me of this:

5 Likes

I’m guessing there were a few shots where people started laughing right away that weren’t included in the video because they didn’t really fit the magician’s narrative.

2 Likes

I watched Penn and Teller perform at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in 1989. The most amazing show ever! They are the greatest entertainers in the universe.

4 Likes

yeah, i’m actually the most curious if he was hurt. it looked like he was unable to get up.

3 Likes

In my younger years I would have been all about this sort of thing. Any more I think: what a fucking asshole. Along with many years on this planet comes a certain unwillingness to put up with bullshit and general dickheadedness (both seem more and more prevalent all the time). I’m interested to hear from someone that thinks it’s OK for some “magician” to impose him/herself in this way and think it’s “all good, bro”. Please rationalize.

11 Likes

All humor is based on someone’s pain.

For the record, I thought the video was hilarious.

(That said, I was a little worried about that one guy lying on the sidewalk.)

1 Like

Er, no…

15 Likes

The domestic violence thing really ruins it, as well as making it potentially dangerous for everyone involved, including the performers. That said, I did find it a little funny when a couple folks’ first reaction to seeing a guy magically pull a woman’s head off was to start chasing him, as though he was a purse snatcher.

18 Likes

They need to be more creative and find a different angle for their bit than domestic violence.

14 Likes

Youngsters tend to suffer from the following bad logic:

1. Things that make me laugh are good.

2. Things that make me nervous make me laugh.

3. Things that are totally fucked up make me nervous.

10 Likes

While there is a theory that humor is based on pain, it is not the only one. And, otherwise, your comment essentially seems to be saying “it’s just a joke, bro”, which is the type of attitude that leads to the humor of Idiocracy, i.e. ‘humor’ which is only about pain and laughing at those who are experiencing it.

11 Likes

I like that one better, too.Domestic violence is not funny. Thanks for posting an alt.

2 Likes

NO. Not all humor is based on someone else’s pain. That is unequivocally the stupidest statement I’ve seen on this forum. Do Not Pass Go. GO STRAIGHT TO JAIL

2 Likes

Especially the guy who fell backwards off the bench and appears to be in real pain.

1 Like

I don’t even know how many times Chappy Brazil ended a conversation by asking me the time…and handing me my watch.

4 Likes