Magician rips his assistant's head off, onlookers flip out

At least he handed it back to you…

1 Like

Humor: Coyote falling off a cliff and springing back accordion style.

Not Humor: Coyote falling off a cliff and suffering internal injuries, compound fractures, and sudden traumatic death.

6 Likes

That’s not a “wonderful thing” at all.

2 Likes

I agree. In your example people were laughing at the end rather than terrified. That’s a big difference between a “prank” and “being an asshole”.

4 Likes

Some of the best humor is that which causes some sort of discomfort.

But pain? Yeah, I call bullshit on that.

As an example, clever puns should only hurt sensibilities, not feelings.

I’m all for crass and offensive humor but the point is to make people laugh, not experience pain or fear (at least not intentionally - if it is, then yet again you’re just an asshole).

More on the science of humor:

5 Likes

I loved a lotta Jackass’s stuff (not the movies), can’t get much more crass or stupid than that. But i also hated a lot of it.

Lotta Three Stooges is based on physical pain, lotta (most?) slapstick is. So in that regard, the pain post was somewhat on point, BUT slapstick, Three Stooges, all of that stuff is purposely cartoonish, exagerrated. The viewer knows they arent witnessing someone REALLY get their eye poked, their throat strangled. Thats the diff: if u think it’s real it’s not funny.

And watching people react who DO think a person or creature was hurt or --in this case-- fucking MURDERED is. Not. FUNNY.

4 Likes

I just realized have a strong reaction to this because of a past personal incident.

Thank you, BB, for the safe outlet. Xoxo

4 Likes

Even graphic violence can be funny depending on the context and medium (Quentin Tarantino is master of this). But it has to be “safe” - like with the slapstick example you know it’s still fake and it’s meant to be humorous.

Seeing simulated violence happen right in front of you in a public place where you’re just minding your own business is something completely different.

6 Likes

Or someone gets beaten by a bus driver with a bat?

4 Likes

And that’s usually about the discomfort of the audience. I.e., in these types of jokes we’re made uncomfortable by a situation and then the discomfort is lifted allowing the release of laughter. This is just, as @thisismydisaster puts it, slapstick and, specifically, unconseting slapstick.

3 Likes

Be well. *hugs if wanted*

4 Likes

No disagreements here. I think we’re basically arguing the same point. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Always and thanks

2 Likes

But magicians are supposed to cause us horror and dread, right?

Oh wait, that’s clowns. Nevermind.

5 Likes

… quite literally.

Agreed. I was just emphasizing that point.

1 Like

I would like to clarify that I did not write “someone else’s pain.” I wrote, “someone’s pain.” Some of the best humor is the audience empathizing with the personal pain of the comic.

Geez, gang, I write one flip little statement and get my shit jumped. Ow.

Wait, was that funny, too?

(That last part was supposed to be a joke, in case that was not apparent.)

2 Likes

What I reacted against in your comment was this:

All humor is based on someone’s pain.

Which just ain’t necessarily so. And which, in the context of this thread, came off as a defense of the obnoxious, abusive “humor” perpetrated by the video’s magician.

1 Like

Okay, we can be cool.

I’m not certain the magician’s trick was abusive, which neither means that I think it was or that is wasn’t, but only means I’m not sure. However, I can respect that as a valid interpretation. Fooling people who have voluntarily signed up to be fooled is one thing. Fooling people who have not given permission is another. Scaring the shit out of random people is certainly pushing the limit.

Thank you for letting me see your perspective.

4 Likes

A gracious turn. Thank you right back.

In a different context, say on a stage, I mightve laughed, feeling safe with the platform.

But public acts of violence have become too common to instantly dismiss a random quick beheading as a prank.

I still got a sicko sense of humor (The Mick episode where Jimmy tries to pull his own tooth).
Just dont wanna see fake p ublic beheadings presented as real ones.

We have thoroughly worn out this thread. Wish i had a gross pun to throw out

5 Likes