Major brands pull ads after they appear next to pro-Nazi content on Twitter

Originally published at: Major brands pull ads after they appear next to pro-Nazi content on Twitter | Boing Boing

9 Likes

If you’re still doing business with Twitter, you’re enabling fascists.

Full stop.

47 Likes

When a company named “Gilead” thinks your platform’s support of far-right content has gone too far then take the fucking hint.

41 Likes

Wednesday’s report suggests that the company still has work to do…

…but we’re working harder than ever to legitimize Nazis, just give us time.

24 Likes

LOL. This is what that idiot Musk never understood. You can’t have a free speech absolutist site AND sell advertising. You get one or the other.

4Chan and the like is were almost anything goes, and that site is radioactive.

He is either going to have crack down on the right bigots and shitheads, close it down/sell it because it fails, or keep dumping money into as a vanity project.

22 Likes

How disingenuous can this woman be? The problem isn’t rational people disagreeing about public policy. The problem is offering a platform for hate speech and misinformation. She’s trying to thread a needle that can’t be threaded. No legitimate business that cares about its brand is going to allow its name to appear next to neo-Nazi content, or misogynistic content, or bigotry. And it’s irrelevant whether that neo-Nazi content isn’t technically illegal.

Do she and Musk really think that becoming the forum for hate speech is a good business plan?

18 Likes

We not only want to disenfranchise you and foment violence against you- but we’d also like you to pay us for it.

:thinking:

16 Likes

He’s lying about that, anyways. He’s obviously, and rampantly censoring some speech and allowing others.

4Chan is a good comparision, since that site very much allowed some language (stuff deemed “SJW” or whatever) to be hounded off the platform, while vile speech was allowed to flourish.

23 Likes

I have no idea, but most likely because someone is profiting off it, and it’s providing a useful service for the far right.

Maybe, but right now, we’re still dealing with people playing the “both sides” BS game. Until we have forms of regulation that center people rather than corporations, that will continue.

12 Likes

Is that a brown shirt she is wearing?

6 Likes

I have no idea how they stay afloat. Like, servers cost money, right?

And whats worse, I know there are off shoots, like 8chan, so there are multiple hives of scum and villainy, and if 4chan did bite it one day, another such site would pop up. :confused:

13 Likes

Exactly… someone is paying for that site to stay online.

13 Likes

Well, yeah, considering that this BB headline could be from around a year ago.

4 Likes

Just sayin’.

11 Likes

“Do she and Musk really think that becoming the forum for hate speech is a good business plan?”

Well, the advertisers that they’re seeking out are “ok with Nazi content on the site, as long as it isn’t sitting directly next to my ads”.

I think that’s a very small group. Probably, non-existent.

6 Likes

You don’t open up the wild west then wonder why you keep getting stampeded.

5 Likes

…Both the ones who profit from it and the one who runs the joint.

3 Likes

Many would prefer not to know.

2 Likes

They’re both still there.

And the answer is because there will always be an internet provider that will sell them service.

3 Likes

3 Likes