Twitter is running major brands' ads on Nazi account

Originally published at: Twitter is running major brands' ads on Nazi account | Boing Boing

3 Likes

So advertisers have no say where their ads are placed? I’m assuming that they would care.

11 Likes

One more reminder for anyone who still has an active account:

1. This social media platform empowers and enables literal fascists.
  2. The platform’s financial viability depends on advertising revenue, which in turn depends on how many users there are on the platform.
  3. If you are still on Twitter/X, your presence there directly benefits fascists regardless of how you personally feel about fascism.

Obviously the same is even more true of any organizations that are still paying to advertise on the platform, but we have our own moral duty to opt out as well.

35 Likes

Most targetted advertising on the Internet is a big scam everyone involved kind of pretends is real. In any case, any advertiser still spending money to reach users in Musk’s Nazi cesspool gets what it deserves.

14 Likes

The algorithm probably doesn’t have an explicit ‘no nazis’ setting. And they only care when someone notices.

12 Likes

Paris Hilton is the celebrity level we’re going for? He’s really going all in on the 90’s/early 00’s line, isn’t he?

6 Likes

13 Likes

She was shilling NFTs on Jimmy Fallon. She’s an easy get for any shady Internet business.

9 Likes

She’d turn up to the opening of an envelope if it led to some exposure.

7 Likes

I’ve been struggling with this a bit. I have a personal account, I’ve left it there but not posted ti it for a long time just to keep anyone else from taking over that account and impersonating me (without just asking Elon to take it, I suppose).

I also manage the account for our local NAACP branch, and I’m going to stay on there with it until national steps off. The national convention is running right now, so hoping to hear back from our delegate on that.

7 Likes
4 Likes

Oh, so that’s why he called the firm “X”.

3 Likes

Didn’t know this word, and in hopes of saving others the trouble, re “sliv”

Created by celebrity Paris Hilton, sliving is a blend the slang slaying and living (your best life).

A person is sliving when they are glamorously successful, self-empowered, and fulfilled—they are “killing it” all on their own, loving every minute of it, and lookin’ good while doing it.

Originally fabricated on Nov 7 2019 so I’m guessing she’s arriving on this… a little late? Or is Sliving still a thing?

5 Likes

I figured it was something that slithy toves get up to. Guess I was wrong.

…or was I?

6 Likes

That is correct. Their algorithm has a “yes nazis” setting.

4 Likes

Um, isn’t it more a case of “major brands are running ads on a Nazi platform?”

5 Likes

I assumed it was parseltongue.

5 Likes

Urban Dictionary has several different definitions… quelle surprise!

3 Likes

Thank you, I was stuck trying to figure out if that was a typo and it was hurting my brain.

Also, any time one of those kool-aid drinkers says ‘X’ all I can think is

Fetch Mean Girls GIF by Paramount Movies

And yes that meme GIF has a typo in it because everything is terrible

4 Likes

Jin𝕩 :wink:

5 Likes