Majority of Democrats now hold favorable views of mass-murdering simpleton George W Bush

For people who see it that way, definitely. But it’s more complex than that, because it’s hard to tell what is actually better. Trump has killed fewer people than Bush, so we might as well call him the better president so far. And ST:D does a great job by innovating on how a Star Trek story can be told.
For Star Trek, I find that through a lens of nostalgia, I pay more attention to the overall tone of a series, and less about whether it was actually watchable.
For Trump, we notice he’s a buffoon, and we notice that by comparison, Bush was obviously smart and civilized. And as Trump hasn’t started a new war yet, and Bush’s shifting of the American Overton window to include torture is hard to outdo, we aren’t reminded of Bush’s crimes that often.
I am afraid that he breaks so many taboos that in the here and now, people will stop watching what he’s really doing.

That makes a lot of sense. For me, not being American, it’s also interesting to observe the “relative motion” of American and Austrian/European culture with respect to each other. Care for a new thread?

1 Like