Make a cardboard shiv: Another way to recycle an Amazon box

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/19/make-a-cardboard-shiv-another.html

3 Likes

Human Ingenuity: Making Tools Out Of Fucking Anything.

13 Likes

I think this guy’s done prison time.

3 Likes

anyone know the amazon crate code reference

Diamond is the world’s hardest substance, but you still can’t cook on it! Act now and we’ll include a second knife!

2 Likes

This is upcycling. Recycling generally involves breaking down a product into component pieces and then making something out of them. Upcycling, also called creative reuse, is taking a product that is otherwise going to be discarded and transforming it into something else without breaking it down (in the case of cardboard turning it into a paper slurry) first.

2 Likes

4 Likes

And the cellulose debris can be used as an anti-caking agent!

3 Likes

I think everyone colloquially understands “recycling” to mean reuse of an item generally. I understand what you’re saying about the concept of “upcycling”, and maybe that is a useful distinction in some fields or contexts, but that distinction is so fine that I don’t think the term “upcycling” as a specific kind of recycling is ever going to enter into the public consciousness. I think this is really a case of “stop trying to make upcycle happen. It’s not going to happen”.

I mean, just look at this:

4 Likes

Fair enough. I actually hate the word “upcycling” but recycling has been taken to mean “reducing to components” for so long that it’s good to distinguish between that and making something new without reducing down first. “Creative reuse” is probably best.

3 Likes

This guy needs to get together with hydraulic press channel. I bet he could make diamond cutting blades out of feces.

Also good for one’s regularity.

1 Like

Umm - not round here. It just means re-using in whatever form (as is, deconstructed, in parts, as something else, with something else, etc.). I.e. repurpose in some form. In some industries it may have a specific strong implication along the lines you suggest but in common parlance round here it just means repurpose / not sent to landfill. It may or may not be processed for its parts/components, or found another use as it is. I suspect we may be talking about the difference between what people in the recycling industry mean and what the rest of the world means.

1 Like

Not true for telecoms engineers (for whom the heatsinks are diamond.) Sliciness -was- down, darnit…

3 Likes

Yeah! Cutting mountains and valleys into takeaway containers with a miter/dullard, somehow sticking polymer shiny wrappers on it to make a heliostat or random (but possible) Penrose mirror has to be all over the place, but my search foo is on the skids there. Better where you are, right? Maybe I just need to call them doubling angle-colorings of the takeaway plane?

2 Likes

Uh, yes! First you just make upcycle disjoint from DIY, require a Krieger Transformation (something from…yeah mostly multiple moldable explosions, I suppose.) So like that thing with the sludge2sharps, but instead turn fungal packing into an instant forest you stick in someone’s mandatory reserved parking in the rain, plastic bottles into organic conference apartments and pop-up labs (leccy and plumbing inclusive,) cut-up seedling grow boxes into …I dunno, frustration cubes that are also ultra-kongs and ground-breaking mesh clothing.

3 Likes

Flossaluzitarin: experimental AI chatbot, or human on drugs?
Answers on a postcard please. And not a sharpened postcard either.

2 Likes

Most places in the US if you say recycling they’ll think of the bins for municipal recycling. I mean it’s there in the word you send the object through the cycle of manufacturing again.

Um, that’s, uh, disruptive!

1 Like