Turning packing cardboard on a lathe

Originally published at: Turning packing cardboard on a lathe | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Oddly enough, my dining room pendant light was made by pouring resin into a similar cardboard structure…50-something years ago. Here’s one of the Moe honeycomb catalogs; mine is just like the centered ring-pull one on photo 2 but all aqua blue instead of blue & green. I’m in love with it.

12 Likes

These guys who turn epoxy always make me cringe a bit because of all the non-biodegradable plastic waste they produce. I use epoxy-reinforced cardboard for some projects, but I don’t turn around and throw 80% of the epoxy into the trash. (There do exist recyclable epoxies, but these videos almost always use the kind of nonrecyclable epoxy you see in marine supply shops.)

19 Likes

Reminds me of this bit from Kumail Nanjiani;

In this case though, “it’s mostly resin. Resin is doing the heavy lifting.”

7 Likes

Agree fully. That and the resulting bowl can’t necessarily be used for food.

If one must, a bit of planning would use far less resin. The cardboard could be cut into rings and stacked into rough bowl shapes, or trimmed and radially fanned out. Some paper maché could be applied to hold the resin in the rough form, then turned on the lathe.

If you took used cello wrap, or old CDs, or old Volvo tail lights and did this, that would be OK as that plastic is already useless. Old microfibre fleece, speedo swimsuits, tupperware, kids toys - none recyclable but may be interesting turned on a lathe. (Might need a bit of resin to hold them together. And launder those speedos first.) Chunks of old fibreglass boat hulls, lammed together, would be interesting.

8 Likes

Hardly “upcycling” as per the tags, more like “soaking a few bits of cardboard in a fresh new barrel of chemicals then throwing 90% of it on landfill” no?

Also, rather ugly, but that’s just taste : )

12 Likes

I would imagine that turning fibreglass would result in a pretty serious health hazard? Can’t imagine those glass fibres, set free at high RPMs, are good for your lungs.

3 Likes

Even cooler: Do this with aircraft aluminum honeycomb.

One of mine. The handle is aircraft aluminum honeycomb with epoxy with salvaged blue toner cartridge pigment.

Made a big chonky ring for the wife out of the same stuff with burgundy colored wood dye pigment.

25 Likes

giphy

8 Likes

That’s sounds positively Anglo-Saxon; do you have a photo?

By the way, that knife looks boss, and the photo is immaculate.

Regarding the video; I like that the guy was genuinely chuffed with what he’d made.

4 Likes

That’s beautiful work. You’ve posted about knife-making before; would you be willing to share some pictures of your smithing process in the making and crafting thread?

5 Likes

Garnet cloisonné is not specific to the Anglo-Saxons but is rather a late Eastern Roman technique that blossomed during the migration period and the early Middle Ages. It could be found from the east, such as these gepidic fibulae (the Gepids were from roughly what is now Hungary)

to wherever you found Goths (i.e. all the way to Spain and Northern Africa)

to the Italy of the Lombards

but especially all around the area of the Allemani and Franks (i.e. modern day Southern Germany and Northern France) where, before the 7th century they are incredibly common in grave finds.

Most famously probably the grave goods of Childeric I. in Tournai

Sorry for going off on you like that but I get annoyed, sometimes, with Anglo-centrism in popular archaeology in the English speaking world. It’s the same when people speak about the Middle Ages and most native English speakers will immediately think of medieval England, although that was a bit of a backwater when it comes to the trends in architecture, thinking and technology that dominated the Middle Ages, most of which came from France and Northern Italy (and Germany towards the end, with the reformation and the printing press).

Please don’t take that as an attack on you, but on the media presenting these things like that.

11 Likes

Came here to say the same. Reddit is full of this shit, and some of the videos have been seeping into BoingBoing, who frankly should know better.
The reddit videos always claim that something beautiful has been made by re-using X. But the truth is that the in process of making this, the planet just got handed another kilogram of non-biodegradable junk.
Resin should be used extremely sparingly, and for mere decorative objects it’s a non-starter.

3 Likes

The tan-on-tan gave me a real Seventies vibe. I was wondering if it might have come out prettier with contrast, say a light blue epoxy.

1 Like

No, thanks for the cultural history lesson. As a native of that most insular of isles, I tend to think of locally found examples (though, I guess some of them are going to be imports). This is especially so, as my home town’s museum housed, “The Anglo-Saxon Horde” and images of it were up around the city centre.

It is amazing work; especially all that chasing within the cells to up the bling factor. That gold and garnet look colour scheme really appeals to me; and even informed the Chapter Colours of my old Space Marine Army, the Ion Pyrates.

6 Likes

Liked for that in particular!

3 Likes

Yeah, as I said this isn’t aimed at you. I’m less frustrated with British people thinking of the Anglo-Saxons first when it comes to the early Middle Ages. Everyone has that sort of local bias after all. It’s more the global dominance of the image of the Middle Ages being skewed towards Britain (or rather England and Scotland specifically) that comes with the linguistic dominance of English speaking media.

From a local perspective the Staffordshire hoard has certainly done a lot in recent years to raise the prominence of garnet inlay and the Early Middle Ages in general. Not since Sutton Hoo has it been that much in the public consciousness probably.

5 Likes

Gepid is a wonderfully rich word; it feels great in my mouth.

2 Likes

This would be nice, but resin videos are completely illegal now. I expect you’ll be hearing a knock on the door from authorities soon.

1 Like

If only he had some cardboard boxes to put all that waste in…

3 Likes