Make a mini popcorn machine with two Pepsi cans

Joke on a construction site is if you cut yourself go see the tin knockers. They will give you a bandage and a union card.

3 Likes

The can definitely has a plastic coating on the inside. Sounds really unwise to burn it. Your snack is literally sitting on the coating and for good measure there is oil involved. Maybe oil can moderate and spread the heat but this looks like a ‘won’t kill ya right now, but maybe later…’

Maybe if it were a bigger, more hefty aluminum can, they set it up and burn off the coatings (do this outside at least?) Then sand off the residue, wash, burn again and sand/wash again and maybe. I’d love to see what the inside bottom of the cooking can looked like.

I kept thinking ‘nice camping parlor trick, but why not just use the cast iron pan, a bit of oil, some corn kernels and a big lid?’

Make the ghee!

3 Likes

Video link for the BBS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhnFecj2GPk

1 Like

Why Pepsi specifically :thinking:

It’s a cool enough idea, but for camping?

I can attest that if you’re camping in a remote area and you really want popcorn you’re going to make it in your regular camping cookware that you were already carrying anyway. And if you’re car camping , you’re probably just going to bring Jiffy Pop that comes in the ready-made pan.

BIngo. That death has nothing to do with a stupid soda can but everything to do with gross misuse of a fluid-based flame source. I’m not sure what to say other than that it’s next to impossible to avoid an occasional disaster involving children, flammable material, and firestarters.

1 Like

Did you live next door when I was a kid? The ramjet I built out of a 10 foot piece of downspout and gasoline did put out lots of noise and flames, but no injuries.

2 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, 5 minute crafts or one of it’s many YouTube clones posted a variation of this that 2 teen girls proceeded to make using the wrong fuel source and ended up with an explosive that gave them third degree burns.

Made a few edits to truly reflect the quality of the mail’s reporting.

14yo Tried Following a Homemade Popcorn Tutorial But It Explodes in Her Face & gives her cancer

Girl, 14, dies from cancer after copying Chinese YouTuber’s video on how to make popcorn with a tin can

Girl, 14, died of cancer trying to copy YouTuber’s dangerous popcorn in tin can cooking trick

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.