Make IKEA's iconic meatballs at home

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/22/make-ikeas-iconic-meatballs.html

5 Likes

okie-dokie

23 Likes

8 Likes

We go to IKEA, and the day starts with meatballs for the husband and cake and coffee for me. He loves their meatballs, so when I saw the recipe I had to try it.
It is very similar, but you have to have the lingonberry jam as a condiment for it to taste right!

11 Likes

To get the true flavor of IKEA meatballs you need horse meat.

7 Likes

Ha! Beat me to it! Came to ask if the recipe called for horse

6 Likes

Added the original tweet to the story, here it is as well:

I haven’t tried this recipe, but I have, repeatedly, made the version below, and do heartily - heartily - recommend it (as well as most other Chef John recipes):

His recipe bakes the meatballs instead of making a mess frying, and uses Worcestershire sauce instead of Soy sauce, and more beef stock, for an umami kick.

18 Likes

Also Obligs:

24 Likes

IKEA’s Turkish Swedish meatballs

5 Likes

But how do you make the vegetarian “mestballs” from Ikea?

I thought what made mestballs Swedish was they were served with pasta. That’s what I remember from when I was a kid, and wikipedia mentions this.

5 Likes

Also don’t forget to add their absolutely wonderful white horseradish sauce called Sas Pepparrot, which is good for other meat too, chicken etc.
Somewhat similar to English and German ones (which I love too), although more gentle and tasty.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind having a legit recipe of the vegetable balls as well. They go well with mashed potatoes and shopping exhaustion.

4 Likes

Nice directions. And no softhead mallet required!

2 Likes

Why metric except for 5 tablespoons?

1 Like

Not sure about these. I followed the recipe and ended up with two screws left over.

24 Likes

I just had them for the first time in my life today. I’d rather them than Macdonald’s burger, but that’s a low bar. I wasn’t impressed. They are cheap, though

3 Likes

What, no mention of allen keys and a left over ingredient that doesn’t seem to fit anywhere?

3 Likes

A good amount of sawdust, some pepper, a pinch of thyme, and then some gelatin as a binder. Very similar to the recipe for making shelves for the Billy bookcase.

5 Likes

I prefer my mestballs with paata.

3 Likes

You’ll find it’s a common UK convention in recipes. Weights and volumes in gm and ml except for the small volume measures which still use the traditional teaspoon / tablespoon measures probably because everyone has those in their cutlery drawers. Go figure.

5 Likes