Make this tool to chill a beverage in 90 seconds

one of the neatest tricks a sommelier ever taught me is that room temperature should be constant, so red wine in the hot summer should be served slightly chilled

4 Likes

Advice someone once gave me: “Put red wine in the fridge 20 minutes before serving. Take white wine out of the fridge 20 minutes before serving”.

I just report. :wine_glass:

2 Likes

“It chilled it so fast that the beer was still warm.”

1 Like

I know this trick where you take ice (cubes or crushed) and put it in a glass then add the contents of the can to the same glass. And then drink it. /s

You’re getting at the differences between forced and natural convection. Forced convection is governed by the Reynolds number which relates inertial to viscous forces while natural convection depends on buoyant to viscous described by the Rayleigh number.

You got me there!

This is essentially how ice cream churns have worked for many many years.

2 Likes

Potentially dangerous

Upside down can of compressed “air” (or plumber’s freeze spray) sprayed on a can or bottle. Overdo it and you will leave skin on the can and do not inhale the evaporate.

Can I use this method in reverse to thaw a frozen beef Fillet? Will I be forced to deconstruct/reconstruct another grazing animal to make it happen?

EDIT: My drill has a reversible setting. But what about the Law of Thermodynamics? Reversible Entropy? Wait, What? Queue 2020 voting in the south.

maybe… but the guy who does instant ice and cream might be better but takes a large percentage of the power… and how does that compare to shaved ice :slight_smile:

Really cool demonstration of thermodynamics, though sadly absent of the excellent explanation given by @derioderio. Maybe it was meant as homework. Otherwise a monumental waste of time in practice. For starters, you need to retrieve a Powerade® (also made my Coca-cola) bottle, though if you’re smart you can pick it up during routine shopping.

Unless you want to rebuild the tool every time, you need to store it somewhere, and retrieve it when needed. The cooler needs to be retrieved and filled with ice every time. And put away when done (hopefully the used water is given to plants). Then you need to wait a full 90 seconds holding the drill while the beverage cools.

By comparison, it takes 10 seconds to load several beverages in a refrigerator (if it’s tidy) and 5 seconds to retrieve. Unless you’re the kind of person to stand idle by the fridge with a timer, the in-between time doesn’t count!

You must have bad batteries. My Ryobi batteries last. I can weed whack then use the power blower and I might use one battery. I think it would be interesting to see how many 90 spins a battery can do. Might just have to test that this weekend over a few cold ones.

You’re able to get that out of the 18V ONE+ series?

I have both P108 (4A/72W) and P191 (3A/54W) batteries. I use the 4A most. All my tools are the newer, bright green versions. I have an original drill that weighs a ton and I bet draws more. HTH

What I described is synonymous with forced convection.

I thought that might be the case, but I wasn’t entirely sure. The formula for calculating convective heat transfer might be derived from the conduction formula, but I didn’t feel like looking it up.

Presentation is everything:

Came here for: https://youtu.be/IAHGPWFysFo?t=10 Was disappointed.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.