Maker creates electronic device that solders itself like "a self-cooking pizza"

Originally published at: Maker creates electronic device that solders itself like "a self-cooking pizza" | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Are there, or are there not, actually self-cooking pizzas?
Because it’s just cruel to tease people like that if there aren’t

9 Likes

As someone who treats high frequency circuits as sinister black boxes just north of blasphemous eldritch magic that’s a really, really, cool assembly mechanism; but as someone who knows just a touch about why he does so I can only live in superstitious terror of all the ways that ground plane deviates from preferred ground plane behavior.

5 Likes

It doesn’t taste as good as properly hydrated pizza.

3 Likes

974D0056-008E-478A-8D3E-A884F3753F64

3 Likes

So any board can be self soldering if I pump enough amps into it?

6 Likes

I, for one, welcome our new self-soldering overlords.

3 Likes

And self-igniting, very exciting! There was the time I plugged a power-converter PC board into the HeathKit H8 microcomputer I was soldering together. I slipped that board in backwards… and the voltage limiter chip, meant for 12 VDC, received 120 VAC and exploded! Silly me. ;-(

2 Likes

Super neat idea! Two flaws keep this from general usage, but it’s a great start!

• The low-temperature solder he uses is really brittle compared to most solders.
  • The heating layer makes a horrible ground plane. Typically you want solid metal; the winding path he has is an inductor - the opposite of a solid plane. This will slow down the speed of signals near it, so it wouldn’t be usable with high-speed boards. There is a fix - put the heating layer between two actual planes. This increases cost, especially because PCBs come in even-numbers of layers - adding one layer means you actually add two.
2 Likes

4 Likes

The inclusion of a spoon does not bode well

7 Likes

Can we get a little disposable pizza cutting tool?

1 Like

OMG this is so dope!! Thanks for this!

1 Like

If you meant desoldering then I think yes you can… Don’t breath that smoke!

If you meant trying this trick on just any old board I suspect no. All that talk about which solder and the layers (fancy!) & stuff.

2 Likes

I think that’s a fantastic idea!

Pretty much everything I cook can be eaten out of a bowl armed only with just a spoon. But that’s only because it never occurred to me to cook things in a bag.

I feel dining etiquette is an effete affectation of the bourgeoisie!

1 Like

If you switch to Bachelor ChowTM exclusively you won’t even have to cook it, just add water.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.