Makeup bloggers turn against consumerism

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/01/makeup-bloggers-turn-against-c.html

3 Likes

No surprises, but I did learn something from the post. Cf. is an abbreviation I don’t recall having seen before. Per Wikipedia:

The abbreviation cf. (short for the Latin: confer, meaning “compare”)[1] is used in writing to refer the reader to other material to make a comparison with the topic being discussed. It is used to form a contrast…

7 Likes

When I first learned of homemade makeup I was horrified (i.e. coco powder as toner, crushed Oreos as eyeliner), but now I see how it’s a reaction to capitalist bullshit.

3 Likes

Visually harassed by high prices? What does that even mean?

It almost sounds like a joke from Always Sunny in Philadelphia (ocular pat down).

how is buying an “experience” not materialistic?? i realize most people would interpret or define that to mean material items only but it means to value purchases more then human qualities.

1 Like

I watched one of the anti-haul videos and she name drops so many brands and products that it’s pretty hilarious. I’ll save you the time. What she says is, “I own 400 eyeshadow palettes, I’m not going to be tricked into buying this new one that is so similar to the other 100 I own from that brand already.”

You go girl! Way to kick consumerism to the curb!

6 Likes

I think buying experiences generally means that people are spending money on concerts, theater, trips, meals out, experiential events, rather than buying things that need to be stored and maintained. For instance, we specifically asked the grandparents to stop buying our kids toys, because at some point we were going to have to buy a new house just for the toys, and instead they pay for summer camp, or music lessons.

4 Likes

Drugs. This means drugs.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.