Making a wood ash-insulated furnace for smelting iron

Originally published at: Making a wood ash-insulated furnace for smelting iron | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Several times he used a scoop instead of pouring directly from a container, or hands instead of a scoop. I don’t know what makes the difference.

3 Likes

Turn on the subtitles for his commentary on each part. It says he used the scoop because that batch of ash hadn’t cooled down enough yet.

3 Likes

TY; I was having subtitle problems.

3 Likes

Paging @VeronicaConnor

:grin:

3 Likes

Long-time fans of his fully expect that he will one day manage to construct a complete 747 jet and fly out of the woods. The guy is amazing and his videos are a work of art.

5 Likes

For comparison to the 34 grams yield, global iron ore consumption was about 2.05 billion metric tons in 2020, which works out to about 262 kg/person per year. That’s about 720 grams per day.

3 Likes

Haha, I almost commented, but I’ve written enough about that particular topic here over the years. :smile:

Edit: Geez, even more than I thought. A quick search revealed the same rant three times. I need to get out more.

13 Likes

For extra fun it’s mostly consumed in the form of relatively fiddly alloys, which does the difficulty no good at all.

Iron has the virtue of being very abundant compared to copper and tin(especially tin; the bronze age Mediterranean wasn’t sourcing the stuff from Cornwall because bronze age Atlantic sailing was safe and fun); but it’s not much to write home about as a pure metal and it’s properties are all over the place with even comparatively subtle changes in impurities or processes; lots of versatility if you’ve got reasonably advanced metallurgy; lots of unpredictability and product variation if you don’t.

4 Likes

I, for one, always enjoyed reading that particular rant.

4 Likes

Yeah, but putting them together like that, reminds us that you are profoundly right.

In a way which doesn’t preclude enjoying his videos by the way.

4 Likes

Or use the iron to make a knife and then use it to hijack a 747.

It really puts into perspective how prized good metalworkers must have been back in the day. :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.