Making an espresso machine from a (thoroughly scrubbed) motorbike piston

When in doubt, assume in my head that I’m hearing the dulcet sounds of John Kay.

3 Likes

There is absolutely no way on earth this thing can build 9 bar of pressure and maintain that through extraction. As such, the espresso will be underextracted and likely sour as all hell. Looks neat, though.

A common folk test for the quality of moonshine was to pour a small quantity of it into a spoon and set it on fire. The theory was that a safe distillate burns with a blue flame, but a tainted distillate burns with a yellow flame. Practitioners of this simple test also held that if a radiator coil had been used as a condenser, then there would be lead in the distillate, which would give a reddish flame. This led to the mnemonic, “Lead burns red and makes you dead.” or “Red means dead.”

I prefer the Irish (I think) version of the test where you give the first drink to the fairies, and the colour of the flame tells you if they liked it.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.