Review of the fantastically complicated 9Barista stovetop espresso machine

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/02/review-of-the-fantastically-co.html

1 Like

15 Likes
8 Likes

It has two boilers, a heat sink, a coiled heat exchanger, and a spring-loaded valve

6 Likes

2-3 bar vs 9 bar. I gather that this greater atmospheric pressure is the reason for the name.

4 Likes

Would love a blind taste test to see if that actually improved the coffee in any way.

4 Likes

That looks very clever, but if it’s going to be that expensive and fussy, I’d just go with a normal espresso machine.

7 Likes

This feels like a company that’s 2 steps away from making a device that’s “like Juicero, but for coffee”.

8 Likes

It’s a more compact form factor, but it looks to me like someone stole Gale’s proprietary process.

9 Likes

Bialetti is the only brand you need :nerd_face:

4 Likes

I guess the advantage is getting expensive and fussy in such a compact form. Suffice it to say “jet engineer” explains everything.

2 Likes

This gentleman’s reviewing voice is… disarmingly calming. I don’t care about coffee equipment but I imagine I am going to be watching a lot more reviews of it, just to relax my brain.

5 Likes

This video compares the aeropress vs a portable “espresso machine” that generates 8 bar.

Which brew is closest to what comes out of your moka pot?

If your idea of espresso is that it’s “really strong coffee”, you’ll choose one option.
If your idea of espresso is that it has crema, you’ll choose another.

6 Likes

If I showed the cross-section (sans handles) to people at work, at first glance they’d wonder which engine that odd looking fuel/oxidizer turbopump came off of.

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s as if he’s immune to the effects of caffeine.

1 Like

Obligatory liquified shit mistaken for coffee video:

2 Likes

Finally got around to watching the review and it’s pretty thorough. I think the price for the unit is understandable because the company making it is small, they aren’t mass producing them and all the components need to be made with quality and tight tolerances in mind. Cost may not seem reasonable, but it’s not necessarily meant to be as it’s for people who are interested in quality espresso and may not have the room for a larger device. It’s very much an enthusiast/niche kind of appliance and based on the video alone it seems like a worthwhile device, i doubt most people would need to own something like it and a moka pot or other methods will fit most needs.

Personally i wouldn’t see myself buying one but if gifted one i’d be pretty happy to play around with it. If i wanted to spend the money on something that can make espresso i do think i’d be inclined to find space for a proper espresso machine but that’s just a distant dream.

5 Likes

Watch his videos on coffee sodas as he torments himself with commercial carbonated coffee drinks

Edit: here is one

3 Likes

Years ago i was traveling for a karate tournament, our group went to an Asian festival of sorts (i forget exactly what it was now) and we were given free samples/bottles of Coca Cola Coffee or something along those lines. It was… just awful.

1 Like

Agree, unfortunately these comedy ads are of the boomer era and the newer ones aren’t so interesting.