Review of the fantastically complicated 9Barista stovetop espresso machine

2 Likes

That coffee looks terrible!

7 Likes

But we already have Keurig?

The limitations of traditional moka pots in terms of heat transfer and pressure has been a topic of discussion among online coffee hobbyists for decades. I’m surprised the designers didn’t address one of the issues – the way water pushing up from below can disrupt the coffee puck – by giving the pot the form factor of an Atomic or Vesuviana (which are true moka pots despite their shape).

5 Likes

Speaking of which, I saw this

which sounds like an expensive way to make coffee.

Interesting device. I’m inclined to say it’s too expensive, though it does look well-engineered and machined, and made of quality materials. However, if I want to make (actual) espresso and save space, I’m probably gonna go the manual press route, since I don’t need a machine worth several hundred dollars taking up counter space. And a Moka pot makes a fine drink, but it doesn’t make espresso.

And you all should watch more of James Hoffmann’s videos. I’ve learned a lot about coffee, but I’ve also learned, if I were to make videos about a subject I knew well, but others (on the whole) did not, how I would do it. Simple production, calm presentation, no judgment. And certainly no YouTube “hAy gUiSe”-ery.

2 Likes

If you’ve already got a stove, use a vacuum (or syphon) brewer.

1 Like

yeah. “coffee” isn’t necessarily espresso with crema. If you’re going to drink a big old mug of brewed ‘coffee’, your life is simple. If you want a delicious shot or double shot of espresso, it takes more doing. you can tell by the fact that our interest remained piqued after noting that it’s 350 bucks plus shipping for a coffeepot. let the grownups talk now, honey.

Yeah, in general. The integrated milk frother, although I only use it about once a week. But, my Breville Infuser cost about this much, and its about 4 years old and recently started having computer problems (the pre-programed shot volume is totally blown, so it just pulls until you manually stop the shot, and it won’t return to factory presets, nor let me program a custom shot volume - basically this function is gone.) While supposedly the one advertised here will last a lifetime with only occasional replacement parts costing 2 pounds.
The other temptation was that where I live long power outages are common, sometimes all day/multiple days, but this one is stove top so could still be used.
In the end, I doubt I’d spend on this unless my espresso machine went completely kaput. And even then, unlikely. But I am enjoying thinking that I might have it one day, and considering the engraving options available.

Given all I drink is espresso (no milk, no sugar)… you can take your snark elsewhere.

Just because this is stupid expensive, doesn’t mean it’s better than other methods of making espresso that already exist.

2 Likes

Crema or GTFU. You brought out fighting words suggesting that espresso lovers wouldn’t likely be able to tell the difference between 2-3 bar pressure extraction versus 9 bar in a blind taste test, but texture is part of deliciousness. That’s two times I’ve used italics; I never bother to italicize. You’ve touched a very sore spot and I bid you good day, kind sir.

I remember as a tourist in London going to Harrods and seeing a $5000 espresso machine there. I’m looking at it, and there’s a Harrods staff member looking at me. He didn’t say anything, but I am pretty sure he was thinking: “You’re not going to actually touch that, are you?” (I don’t think I bought anything there except some sweets for the kid, from the massive selection–they also have a whole separate chocolate room).

Takashimiya department stores have a espresso machine department, which is a great place to enjoy a free espresso.

Fighting words.

Coffee.

Maybe you should cut back.

5 Likes

The Vesuviana is great until it boils over and destroys Pompeii and Herculaneum.

5 Likes

I had that happen once, but was able to repair it with some JB Weld.

2 Likes

“You can leave it over there on that stove and boil it for three more hours, then you can call it Starbucks”

Speaking of James reviewing expensive ways to make espresso, there’s also the elegant, solid, lovely, stupidly expensive Swiss lever machine option:
Review: The Olympia Cremina

2 Likes

That thing does look pretty. I’m no stranger to a… hands-on… coffee making ritual, but for my money if it’s going to be complicated (and, well, a bit pricey), I’d like the reward for that to at least be some control over the process and the ability to adjust some variables. It actually has to be a pretty grim morning when I don’t enjoy the 5-10 minute process of pulling a shot on my flair manual machine, but I’m sure most people would find it too much work or too finicky.

That aside, it never really occurred to me until watching the video that a big reason why you can’t just have a moka pot that works at espresso pressures is that generating that pressure with hot/boiling water alone will give you such crazy high temperatures.