Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Surely a 12-mile radius, no?

3 Likes

@MrShiv, you are correct! Measured from the cupola of the New Castle courthouse. My mistake.

@Faffenreffer, I’ll ping you if I still have it the next time I run up to the Boston area.

4 Likes

Letters all done, just touching up the paint.

I bought the faux neon strips from two different eBay vendors and annoyingly, they have noticeably different brightness:

… but maybe no one will notice

18 Likes

Working on a bowl cut from a bit of Huon Pine I was given:

16 Likes

Does it spell “FORREST”?

6 Likes

:nose:t3: :point_left:t3:

8 Likes

It’ll be a marquee sign for the Forrest Theater, a temporary film venue at this festival that I’ve worked for the past 15 years or so. One of my festival jobs is sign-making. (I also print the tickets and do a lot of construction and art installation.)

The theater is named after Forrest Rose, a local musician, newspaper columnist and a multi-talented mainstay of our town’s cultural landscape for three decades, who tragically died in 2005. Forrest was also my next-door neighbor, my friend, and a deeply decent person.

The sign itself is intended to echo the landmark neon sign of the Tiger Hotel. (The Forrest theater is located in the historic hotel’s ballroom.)

I used images of the hotel’s neon sign to create outlines and traces of my letters. The T, E, and R were easy, because they also occur in TIGER. The F was just like the E with one less arm. I adapted the O from the G of TIGER. The S was the hardest to design.

20 Likes

Just curious, have you ever gotten into hand-painted signs? I’m a portrait painter, but find any kind of script (hand-lettering, calligraphy, etc) to be the most frustrating task to work on.

6 Likes

Not really. Most of the signs I’ve made have been painted, but not “freehand” if you will. I have no artistic talent. I’m much more comfortable with graphic design. For example, I designed and laid out this quote painted on a theater wall, but a professional artist did the lettering:

13 Likes

Almost done:

First coat of oil & shellac:

14 Likes

All done:

Huon pine.

22 Likes

99% done. Just need to even up the top edges, dab some paint on the fronts of the bases, and make a top rail to hold the upper edges aligned. Last photo for a while, as I need to move on to other projects…

Bonus: a rare glimpse of “Copper Star”, a piece I made a few years ago but that’s been in deep storage until recently:

20 Likes

My grandson was born two months premature and his birth got me to crocheting teeny little baby beanies for him. After he came home I just didnt stop. So I make teeny baby beanies for NICU babies, from a small size 2lb to a big size 9lb (because not all NICU babies are preemies). I also make Bereavement Beanies for the angel babies. The parents can place them on their babies to stay with them or for the parents to take home after the baby has had it own. We were blessed, my grandson did well & despite his small size he came home at two weeks and 4lbs! He is now a bouncing, thriving, blonde hair blue eyes & tiny blue glasses 3.5 year old!

28 Likes

Have a little microtour of the non-profit co-op craft store where I sell my bowls these days:

It’s in the old Bank of Tasmania building. Back in the goldrush days, it was cleaned out by bushrangers twice.

20 Likes

Only twice? Looks like a soft target

4 Likes

Making another Huon Pine bowl.

Trim the blank:

Mounted and ready to go:

Mounting socket carved, ready to flip:

All done, time for sanding:

14 Likes

So do you have to get a license to obtain this wood? The Wikipedia article mentioned conservation efforts involving restrictions on collecting dead wood from these trees.

Also, post 2000! :sparkler:

8 Likes

You aren’t allowed to cut Huon any more, but because it was Tasmania’s #1 shipbuilding timber there’s still a lot of offcuts floating around.

I was given my bits by one of the women at the co-op store; her husband makes furniture, but has no use for small pieces.

There’s also a substantial industry based around salvaging underwater Huon from old wharf pilings and inundated valleys (a consequence of Tasmania’s substantial hydropower infrastructure). It lasts pretty much indefinitely when submerged; the rot resistance is part of what made it so good for boats.

The woodshavings are also useful as a moth repellent, BTW. We sell little bags of it in the craft store.

21 Likes

Wow, the underwater tree harvesting is an interesting process. Evidently the barge skipper / logger has no underwater vision and has to “feel around” for trunks below the surface.

10 Likes

All done:

21 Likes