Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Garden beds complete:

Now I just need to build a pademelon-proof fence and give the soil a few weeks to settle in [1], then I can start planting.

[1] There’s a hefty amount of blood & bone, dynamic lifter and cow dung in each bed; if I planted now, it would cook the crop.

18 Likes

I had to look that one up:

Looks like an evil miniature kangaroo

14 Likes

19 Likes

Going WAY off-topic here, but while checking out the pademelons on the 'Peed, I learned that they are predated by wedge-tailed eagles – surely one of the most bad-ass birds in the world. They hunt kangaroos! They attack hang gliders! Good lord.

17 Likes

That’s what you get when a mouse falls in love with a tyrannosaurus.

12 Likes

See this post:

9 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:

I just noticed this bit in the Wiki article on Wedgies:

10 Likes

This sounds like a sequel to the Motherfucking Pterodactyl…

7 Likes

In the USA, that word has quite a different meaning.

Now I’ve really gone off-topic.

5 Likes

Fake bamboo for the pole beans. Real bamboo was too short and too expensive, so I made my own. I also assumed my neighbors might whine about seeing a bunch of white pipe which is why I camouflaged them as bamboo.

3/4" schedule 40 PVC, $1.40 for a 10-foot length. I cut it down to 7 feet, then wrapped green garden twine around it every 1 foot. The knots were secured with a dab of gorilla glue.

A spray of olive-drab paint. Probably should have removed all the print with acetone and roughed it up with sandpaper, but I didn’t bother.

Ready for the beans.

22 Likes

Quarantine Hefeweizen is ready to consume. Hints of clove and banana (just look at it!). Open to suggestions for a name. So far I’m going with “Homebound Hefeweizen”.

21 Likes

Australia - where everything really is trying to kill you.

This slogan was rejected by the Australia Tourist Board in favour of “Throw another shrimp on the barbie!”

And yes of course, the shrimp (-like critters) also want to kill you…

19 Likes

Unsolicited garden photo.

Have been harvesting lettuce, spinach, radish, spring onions, chard, and pea shoots for about two weeks now.

22 Likes

Between bouts of depression-fueled news reading and optimistic sourdough baking, we decided to remodel the bathroom. A 3-day project that has stalled in week three, because of plumbing problems and despair.
Before: an ugly 100-year-old apartment bathroom.

During deconstruction, we found some fun artifacts.
Fake tile:
Real hex tile, too destroyed to save:
After tearing out the ceilings and pieces of wall, I did some plaster art to cover up the repair:
Eventually, walls were painted and a floor installed, the tub feet were stripped and painted, the tub reinstalled, and the vanity put in place:

We will not talk about how every step has spawned 3 more unexpected ones. Thank all the gods we have a neighborhood hardware store that carries parts for century-old stuff.
And now we have a leaking faucet and wrong sized pipes and are taking the weekend off. Plumbing-acquainted friends are being consulted again.
Someday I will have a spa-like bathroom. I have optimism - after all, I keep making sourdough breads that end up more like battle breads than edible sandwich makings, and I still make more.

28 Likes

Oh the joys :woozy_face: of caring for a 100-year-old place. I’m in your hell now, too

8 Likes

It’s cool that you kept the tub, though. I love claw-foot tubs.

10 Likes

My house is only ten years old, but it’s an owner-builder kit-home jobbie.

I foresee the discovery of a great deal of “eccentric” construction if I ever have to do any significant work on it.

14 Likes

Today’s extra-exciting project: new clothesline between deck and treehouse.

Yes, I’m truly running out of things to do

20 Likes

Load-bearing drywall?

9 Likes

Timber (red cedar) cottage. Wood inside and out.

But the wiring may be a little creative. For example, the lights in the loungeroom/kitchen are a 50/50 mix of edison screw and bayonet fittings, for no sensible reason.

22 Likes