Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

This is why everything I use is glass except the silicon burper lid and metal rim. Pickle stank is not something to play around with.
ETA: 55 gallons is a ridiculous amount of pickle! Did the drums come from a restaurant?

4 Likes

Dunno; bought ’em out in the country from a nice old couple with a few dozen neatly arranged in their front yard. I hope they were impressed seeing us put them into our Mazda Farm Vehicle.

6 Likes

Wall of cherry tomatoes. I had the neighbors come over yesterday and take as much as they wanted. It barely made a dent. A couple of stray cucumber plants are invading the space. Some kohlrabi skulking near the bottom.

20 Likes

$15 each, need any?

6 Likes

I appreciate the offer but I’ve no idea what I would use them for. What are you going to do with them?

3 Likes

Making water be where we need it to. It’s stubborn.

8 Likes

Rain barrels?

8 Likes

No thanks, just bought a couple.

8 Likes

I’m surprisingly uninterested in learning about indirect consumption of Indian barrel gherkins.

7 Likes

Working on a cylindrical box thingie:

14 Likes

Oh, great.

We all know how that will end...

n8jSLMc8zT2p1rELAUyRCc3VN7B

13 Likes

The baby pride of barbados is blooming! It started out 8 inches high in may and now its 3 ft. I took a crepe myrtle out of the spot back in january. Sifted out every root I could but the stupid thing keeps coming back. It can grow from an inch long piece of root! Damned zombie tree

18 Likes

cory posted this image on his site because there’s a Kickstarter for these magnets.

my postman is a pretty cool guy, so I wanted to show my support. using that image, I freehanded the whole thing (erasing all the guidelines and sketchy lines before filling in the blue)

22 Likes

That’s a really nice idea! We’ve been leaving alcohol wipes and stuff in the mailbox for them, but I’m going to make one of these, now, too.
Incidentally, I tried to leave them some cash in a card when this all started, just as a thanks for keeping me connected with pen pals, and they added a note to the card explaining that they can’t accept cash. I guess it makes sense, being gov’t employees, but I also thought it was too bad.

14 Likes

Spend it on Democratic candidates in swing states.

7 Likes

Spend it on mutual aid in your neighbourhood. It’d do more good.

OTOH, this ain’t the thread for that.

3 Likes

Maybe try 35% hydrogen peroxide? You have to be extremely careful it doesn’t get in contact with eyes or skin, but should remove nearly any kind of smell caused by organic substance. Also don’t spray it, use a brush.

5 Likes

So far I’ve just done repeated rinsing in the course of my normal chores, but haven’t sniffed them lately. My next step was gonna be baking soda. But if (stank===‘YES!!!’) would hydrogen peroxide be a better next step?

6 Likes

Probably (I’m not sure if baking soda will do anything), but please be extremely careful, it’s a strong oxidizer. It removes smells, mold and microbes, and also bleaches wood. If you will have any leftover peroxide, don’t store it below freezing temperature because bad things may happen. A safer option would be to dry the barrel really well and run commercial ozone generator inside. Again, ozone is also dangerous, so it’s best to do it outside and don’t inhale it.

4 Likes

Or I just let it leach back out very slowly over time, and we’ll have slightly tangy eggs for a couple years.

5 Likes