Thought I’d pop in with an update of sorts.
I built my first backpack a few months ago, and it’s worked out pretty well.
But it’s just a prototype to work out some design ideas and practice with construction a bit. Now, it seems, it’s time to move on to the more “finished” product.
The design will mostly stay the same (from the outside, at least). Dimensions and features will remain unchanged, though the prototype was built from 10oz duck cloth and v2 will be from 500D coated Codura. Otherwise same-same on the outside.
Inside, some more changes. I’m adding a third pen slot (up from two…) and adding two pleated internal storage pockets as well (to keep random small bits from rattling about). I’ve also got a novel idea for a way to stabilize my thermos/water bottle internally without adding bulk.
I’m stepping up the liner material as well- right now it’s some ultralight nylon, but that’s been a pain to work with (and the weight savings are minimal, at best…), so I’m going (slightly) beefier. And likely not the orange color that’s currently in there- I’m thinking bright pink instead.
I’m pleased, though, that some of the more funky design choices seem to have worked out- no waist strap, unpadded shoulder straps make of webbing, no storm flap on the waterproof zipper… all have turned out to be good things that work. I’ll be adding a haul/hang handle to v2 I suppose, as well. It’d be nice to be able to hang the thing up for storage…
Anyway. All this after my house move in a few weeks (and when I get my sewing machine back out of storage…).
I hate being on pause like this. I want to order the fabric and get going, but… yeah. Just sort-of can’t right now. Bums me out.
My 2yo is getting a miniature version of this in kelly green and bright yellow. It’s pretty epic thus far. And, also, in storage.
The frustration it burns.