Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

7 Likes

another bed at the same house

13 Likes

I love how it’s built into the wall! Excellent work!

What size mattress (queen?)? What kind of wood did you guys use and how did you finish it (or plan to finish it)?

5 Likes

yeah, it began its life as a large closet. the ceiling we made is false, it goes another foot up and the electrician will drill it out and bring the existing light fixture down. the plywood is probably maple and all the shiplap (lining) and everything else is pine. it’s going to be stained darker by 
 someone else. it’s for a full sized bed with the head and foot going left to right but it’s hard to tell from the camera lens

7 Likes

Building it into a closet is a great idea.

Good work to you and the rest of the crew!

7 Likes

thanks, yeah it’s just me and my boss, he’s got over 30 years as a professional carpenter

7 Likes

Even more impressive with just two folks!

6 Likes

In case anyone wondered, there are 226 strings in a piano. Each with it’s own tuning peg. Each a pain in the ass to get out.

15 Likes

What are you up to?

9 Likes

We inherited this along with the house. No one wants these things anymore. We literally could not give it away. And tossing it in the landfill was just unacceptable. So we are turning it into a bar. After gutting it and scrubbing 100 years of mildew and crud out of it. :face_vomiting:

14 Likes

Oh, Susanna!
Oh don’t you cry for me.
For I’m dismantling an upright piano
And I’m down here on my knees!

ETA: (I was trying to substitute Indiana for Alabama, but couldn’t make it work)

12 Likes

There are two acceptable uses for a piano: playing it or launching it with a trébuchet.

10 Likes

extra points if it lands on a banjo or an accordion!

10 Likes

I make stuff with power tools screws nails and computers, my wife is more traditional cutting sewing gluing.

This is what she’s up to today.

11 Likes

I didn’t take any before photos or progress photos, but in the same bathroom / laundry room we’ve been redoing there were some oak faced cabinets of 1980s vintage that were originally the much maligned honey oak color.
At some point someone decided an improvment on the dated look would be to paint them with white latex wall paint
 cue a dingy, stick-to-itself home value depreciator.
I pulled all three of them down and stripped and scraped the previous finishes off to the best of my ability (only completing the task for the one we currently have a plan to use) and stained with a couple of different shades to get a color similar to the vanity in the room and clear coated with shellac. Even planned a thin board to epoxy to the side so the color would match where it would be visible.
Still have to choose the pulls that will go on this and the vanity.
2nd picture is of the two i have no current plans for, citri-strip already used on them, but not scrapped or finished yet.

12 Likes

I vaguely recall a David Letterman Top 10 list of Mob Boss Tax Tips including:

1. You can deduct the entire cost of the piano, even if you’re just buying it for the wire.
8 Likes

Christmas stout a-brewin’

19 Likes

Cheers!

14 Likes

Neat! A quick google suggests it came from Lidl?

1 Like

Correct!
Not that I actually need more bits at this point, but

Looks like they know their customers.

3 Likes