Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Then I proceeded to build the scroll. more mistakes! The scroll holds the pegbox, and in real cellos appears to be carved from one piece with the neck. I built the scroll from several pieces, but got my dimensions a little wrong. I built flat sides and slotted them to slide over the bridge parts, giving lots of area to glue. I pushed and smooshed glue into the corregations to try to build it strong enough to hold string tension (more on that later!).

Then some cover around the top:

I drilled holes for the pegs, and then smeared the inside of the holes with glue to harden them, then re-drilled again to smooth them and round them out. I sized the holes to fit straws from the local ice cream & milkshake shop (Sweet Cow !!!). I filled each straw with a strip of glued corrugated cardboard to make it semisolid. That required over 24 hours to dry - I think bc the glue wasn’t exposed to much air.

The ‘scrollwork’ on the side is made of a spiral, cut out and with shims underneath to give it height.

10 Likes

Stenciling on the back of the house.

Source:

Laser cut stencils

Progress today:

More progress

12 Likes

I started picking grapes today. Most aren’t ready yet, but I still got a few pounds. I don’t know what type of grape it is (my guess is concord).

I’m going to continue harvesting as they’re ready, then make something with them at work. I don’t know if it will be a wine or pyment.

14 Likes

The possibilities are endless :slight_smile: and if you ever have an abundance of unripe grapes and don’t want them to go to waste you can still use them. One ancient use is verjus or verjuice but there are other ways to prepare them

Edit: posted the wrong link because i’m smart. Fixed now

11 Likes

I got absolutely no grapes this year. While I was away for a few weeks raccoons (I suspect) gobbled down the lot. Good luck in whatever you choose to do!

10 Likes

I think this box originally came with saw blades in it

you can see that the lower, shaped foam is not getting compressed in the center, which shows that the needles are not contacting the interior lid

I got the foam from a client who was throwing out a wine bottle crate

6 Likes

Rock Lobster!
Big thanks to @FloridaManJefe !

I know a couple of people named Pennekamp; looks like maybe some of their ancestors ended up on the Keys?

10 Likes

John Pennekamp was an environmentalist and editor at the Miami Herald. the coral reef state park is named for him in Key Largo:

the stamp and postmark refer to this coral reef park as Pennekamp Station. the South Creek Docks at Pennekamp Station is home port to yours truly, where the Conch Republic Vessel (CRV) Mighty Meh is docked.

9 Likes

the clients have a small A-frame house and everything to the inner extremes below standing height is dead space, so they asked us to make a storage chest

we also made a shelf for the microwave and drawers to fill in where the ice maker used to be

12 Likes

Kamala Harris Politics GIF by The Democrats

6 Likes

This latest one was particularly beautiful :blush:

7 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

Schitts Creek Wtf GIF by CBC

10 Likes

Parks And Recreation Reaction GIF

4 Likes

Look what showed up through through my letter slot one day .

11 Likes

What happened was, a spammer slipped through because I fumble-fingered the buttons. They got flagged again, and the error was corrected… but the flags closed the thread. :blush:

Sorry all, it’s fixed now. Have fun!

16 Likes

I think there was a spam account or a trolley? I saw a hidden post by a new poster late last night…

@Malarkey! Jinx!

coca cola coke GIF

6 Likes

This connects a couple of dots for me, thanks! Like Christ of the Abyss; I had seen pictures somewhere a while ago, but the location was just “off the coast of Florida”. Voss also rings a bell, probably because his work at Woods Hole. I have a thing about submarines and submersibles.

3 Likes

I’ve refreshed/reimagined/cleaned the damn pedal board, or, as I like to call it “reforged the sword that was broken.”

8 Likes