Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

I was starting to wonder if that was the case. I do post both to the artist page, and once to my own timeline for good measure. If you see my edit I made as you made this reply, it also gives me the feeling that there’s a certain hierarchy in what gets reposted or shared among the Facebook culture. It seems to have to be “shareworthy”, like cancer, cats, or something to do with your kid’s school.

edit: I also notice that Facebook picks up on when you enter words like “sale”, and I think it actively thwarts my attempts at getting friends to see it.

1 Like

There totally is a hierarchy. No question.
The clickbait thing (You won’t believe this new painting!) does, sadly, seem to work there.
And there’s the perception thing, too: The things a person likes are indicators of the type of person they are- or, rather, the type of person they want to be seen as. So the kitten videos and whatever are efforts (at some level) to control the external perception of the type of person they are.
Art is hard, too- people get really insecure about their taste and that they don’t “know anything” about art. They worry that “liking” (in both the literal and Facebook sense) the “wrong” are might somehow “harm” people’s perception of them. It’s dumb.
The same issues persist on most Social Media, but at least your posts might get seen otherwise.

1 Like

Among my circles, I’m starting to think maybe a painting of Christ holding a puppy might help.

8 Likes

When I was selling stuff, I found a few things to be helpful in getting eyes on my stuff and cash in the door:

1. post project photos and info on a dedicated craft blog (you can get a freebie easy-to-use blog from wordpress)
  2. network with other crafters online and IRL - promote each others’ work, collaborate, etc.
  3. sell at craft fairs, especially ones that have a decent amount of advertising/popularity in place
  4. always be ready to answer question/tell people about your stuff and give 'em a link to where they can buy it

Mind you, this was a handful of years ago, so I didn’t tweet or pin or instagram or whatever the kids are doing today.

1 Like

I’m on Pinterest, and Instagram, and I have to tell you — the Instagram seems to show the most activity. I’m getting follows from complete strangers, and some artists are very gracious by following me back when I follow them. I like the function that people can see who you’re following, and be able to see their things, too.

I’m a little too late and underfunded for art & craft fairs this year, but that’s okay. It gives me time to build on the portfolio.

The cool thing is that despite the saturation of artists and other creative types here in Austin, there’s always an alternative showcase. My barber, who specializes in artisinal, traditional men’s haircuts (he’s found a niche and is killing it by the way), is offering some wall space in the barber shop he shares space in.

I think my difficulty right now is the exposure part, and being able to produce without starving that results from the lack of exposure at this time. But I’m plowing ahead. I’ll have another painting and perhaps a preparatory sketch for the next one to show here in a day or two.

2 Likes

Okay, here’s another question…

Has anyone tried the pay-what-you-can model for smaller, less expensive to make items? How did it work out?

Granted, oil painting is a very labor-intensive project if you’re very dedicated to quality work. However, I find preparatory sketches look very nice in their own right, but take less prolonged effort.
I realize much of my Facebook crowd is like myself, low-level workday people who are trying to get by, and I wonder if offering pay-what-you-want instead of 20 bucks for a print of a fine drawing might result in a better overall response.

2 Likes

Canning season is finally almost over. Ended up with something like 64 quarts of tomato puree, at least 12 quarts of pickled peppers, mostly sweet pickled, and the freezer is nearly stuffed with various hot peppers. Still have the last minute, holy crap it’s gonna freeze tonight, peppers to do something with. All 20-ish pounds of 'em.

Need to post a couple pics, but still knitting Iron Man gloves for my son. Had no time to work on it this weekend as we spent nearly every minute shopping for our finally happening kitchen remod.

It’s been 2 years with a half tore up kitchen. I’m relieved and full of dread, but it’s really happening. Floor was purchased Saturday along with a new wood stove (that’s for the living room, though) and appliances were purchased on Sunday. I need to tweek the cabinet layout and revise the pricing, but we should be ready to put in our order within the next week or two. Just need to figure out the backsplash and countertops. Then the exciting fun times of ad hoc cookery and dish cleaning begins.

13 Likes

Where do you get your tomatoes from?

My backyard. I think it was 72 plants we put in the ground this year.

7 Likes

Electric pan/griddle, electric burner (or two), decent toaster oven, and the old fridge in some other room. It ain’t fun, but you can do it!

5 Likes

wow. that seems like a good yield. They tasty?

1 Like

I was going to recommend one of those stand-alone induction burners, as I’ve heard nothing but excellent things about them.
I once did a full thanksgiving meal with nothing but two wall ovens. Works.

6 Likes

We survived on a mix of microwave meals, stuff from the deli counter (grocery stores have some good stuff), and just going out. But we also had professionals doing the work so it wasn’t for that long.

4 Likes

Hells yeah, they’re tasty.

@chgoliz: We’ve already got half the kitchen in the adjacent downstairs bedroom. The worst of it’s going to be tearing out the walls, baseboard heat runs and floor. Which requires removal of the sink and the new wood stove to be up and running. I’m moving the range first since that’s just adding one length of black pipe and physically moving the electric line/box. I plan on using a card table or two and work around the range and fridge as best we can.

@TobinL: Who says we aren’t professionals? :wink: My SO is a carpenter by trade. He’s build many houses over the years. We have an electrician down the street we can hire, if necessary. We have no need to hire anything else out, he’s just out of town all week, every week, which puts a lot of the work on me and my one or two hours a day I have available for doing things. Tile is gonna take, like, forever.

6 Likes

Well, carry on then and enjoy the kitchen when it is done.

2 Likes

Oh, no! I’ve seen how this plays out: the cobbler’s kids going barefoot. I really feel for you now. :anguished:

7 Likes

This is precisely why I’ve lived with a half tore up kitchen for a month shy of two full years. He renovated two other people’s kitchens and built an addition on a third person’s house when he was underemployed during the first year. Now he’s spent the last year overemployed. :frowning:

7 Likes

I have two max Burton induction plates. They work very well. A 50amp range works better, but only a bit.

I cookedon a gas stove this Sunday that had probably half the BTUs of that induction plate, and it was not a cheap or old stove.

1 Like

I installed butcher blocks from lumber liquidators last year as my counters and I really like them. May not be your style, but having had granite, corian, and seventies whatever that was, these are my favorites.

http://m.lumberliquidators.com/ll/c/x-lft-Maple-Butcher-Block-Countertop-Williamsburg-Butcher-Block-Co.-MABB8/10006983

Ok you crafty buggers…
I am working on a tutorial for photo pendant kits that I will sell on my etsy shop.

I fucking haaaaaaaaaaate this so much! argle bargle and the great big sea someone do this for me i hate it i hate it i hate it…

THIS is why I like doing in person shows! Talking to strangers on my feet for hours on end? Absolutely, bring it on! Love it! Could do it forever! Its the best! WRITING that shit down in a way that doesn’t make me sound like a moron OMG no no no hate hate hate…

But there, I said it, outloud, in front of witnesses, so I’m going to do the thing, in time for xmas sales. Ugh. Fine.

11 Likes