Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

It’s going to be months (at least) before I’m vaguely competent at spoon carving, so don’t expect anything shiny any time soon.

However, I do have a lump of Pittosporum that is beginning to vaguely resemble a spoon…

And as an antidote to that crude lump, here’s what it looks like when a skilled spooncarver decides to show off:

Going shopping for some spoon chisels tomorrow; hogging the bowl out by hook knife alone is doing my head in.

12 Likes

A well-timed Twitter omen:

8 Likes

New toys:

9 Likes

My laptop is out of action so no Photoshop, I’m back to real pens for a while. No purpose apart from enjoying the process.

18 Likes

…and now I’m making a spoon mule to go with it.

7 Likes

Keeping the bowls going…

6 Likes

Today’s fruitbowl:

Cypress.

8 Likes

I just sold another thingie. :blush:

This one:

13 Likes

Spoon mule all done:

Same base as the shavehorse, just a different swappable head.

6 Likes

…to the same guy who bought the first thingie.

On the one hand: repeat customer, yay!

On the other hand: I still have only one customer…

13 Likes

Dish of the day:

Made from a bit of scrap I rescued from the firewood bin.

3 Likes

Don’t feel bad. I only have one Patreon subscriber.

UPDATE: Now I have two. Thank you Patreon subscriber!

7 Likes

Still working on the practice spoon.

It ain’t pretty, but it’s definitely a spoon now.

4 Likes

That’s my kind of spoon! Meant for an entire box of cereal eaten from a punchbowl.

7 Likes

Or a good-sized dram of whisky. :grin:

5 Likes

The best definition of a dram I’ve come across was something along the lines of:

a measure of whisky which is neither so small as to cause the recipient to feel that the host is stingy nor so large as to make the host regret pouring it.

9 Likes

Sort of a Black Friday deal I can offer…

I have 4 (maybe 5) primed 8"X8" panels, the ones I use for studies/warm-ups. The first 4 (or 5) people to respond to me can get a simple painting (1 subject - animal, vegetable, or mineral) for $75.
You will not be first in line, because I have some things on my plate, but I think I could kick them out by the end of the year.

6 Likes

After seeing some of the craft-along items that were auctioned off for charity at Desert Bus last week, I decided to take up cross-stitching. My long-term hope is to make something of my own to contribute to the event, but more immediately it’s something more productive for me to do than dinking around on my computer all night.

My first project has been reproducing this lovely bit of Myst-themed cross-stitch, because I do not understand the meaning of the phrase “start small”. (source)

After 5 days, here’s where I am:

21 Likes

That’s a great first project. It’s looking really good. Keep it up!

8 Likes

The best purpose!

9 Likes