Making deer glow to prevent cars from hitting them

Same here. I did not hit that deer. The deer hit me.

It jumped into the side of my car as I was driving by. Fortunately, neither my car or the deer was hurt.

But reflective antlers would not have done a thing.

Reindeer are livestock and Lapland AFAIK doesn’t have wolves it has wolverines.

3 Likes

Seems like a legit concern for someone called elk.

2 Likes

It seems to me if the answer is “paint their antlers with glowing paint”, you’re asking the wrong question.

was just coming in here to say this, yes! Seems like an imgur post blew up yesterday and a ton of outlets are reporting this as if it isn’t a failed experiment from seven years ago. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Only if McDonald’s starts serving venison burgers

Vaccinate them ! Have Bill Gates insert a chip that turns them into mobile wifi hotspots and their antlers into antenna’s. An app would alert approaching cars and the vehicle’s ABS would automatically activate.

Better to put a glowing cross above each deer. The Jagermeister logo definitely connotes ‘stay away’ to me for some deeply ingrained reason

https://logos-world.net/jagermeister-logo/

1 Like

Sorry to be that guy, but 4000 car vs reindeer incidents a years sounds like an awful lot. A quick rummage around the internet tells me that this means all but two crashes* in Finland in 2019 involved reindeer.
https://www.stat.fi/til/ton/2019/ton_2019_2021-01-19_tie_001_en.html

*I know that says 4002 incidents with personal injury, but if the impact is hard enough to kill the reindeer, the driver will be pretty fucked up too.

The were officially extinct in Norway and Sweden until 1983 when a den was found. I don’t know if a tiny population had lived there all the time or if they had just immigrated from the East. Still a lot of hatred of wolves both for taking livestock, for competing with hunters for elk and for threatining dogs. I think the initial fear that they would go around killing humans has subsided, to the extent it was ever real and not just an excuse to get rid of them.

But Scoob, how will we tell them apart from g-g-g-ghost reindeer?"

2 Likes

Maybe they forgot deer shed antlers every year, and must be re-painted.

Thank you for being where you are, and posting some current and real facts for our consumption.

You and people like you are what makes this bbs a reality-based, interesting, detail-rich experience.

Greetings and gratitude from Austin, Texas.

We have a significant problem with deer / car collisions*. I’ve witnessed a doe running herself into a big American pickup truck that was driving slower than a human walks. Not the same as reindeer, I realize, and with no affected herdspeoples like the Sámi, but oh how I’d love to paint reflective road pigment on the antlers of every buck I see out here. What an art project, if nothing else, that would be! I have been forwarding that image in the OP for days to my artist friends.

2 Likes

Jägermeister kinda poached it:

1 Like

It’s civic duty to kill a reindeer (in Finnish poro a semi-domesticated version of mountain reindeer AKA mountain caribou) if you hit it with a car. Reindeer aren’t wild animals so their owner needs to be compensated by The Finnish Motor Insurers’ Centre ( The Finnish Motor Insurers' Centre (LVK) ).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.