Watch a jumping deer miss a motorcyclist by a hair

Originally published at: Watch a jumping deer miss a motorcyclist by a hair | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Also, question, what do you call a deer that’s blind in one eye?

No idear!

What do you call a deer with only one eye?
One-eyed deer
What do you call a deer with no eyes?
No idea.

9 Likes

8 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TUm8JPSVjE

9 Likes

I always heard the last one as:
What do you call a deer with no eyes and no legs?
still, no-eyed deer

7 Likes

Nice rack!

5 Likes

That actually looks like a fair amount of clearance.

7 Likes

Deer whistles: Saw a lot of these on cars where I grew up, but the general impression was that they didn’t work. This guy had the opportunity to slow down, the deer was clearly visible long before it got to the road. A greyhound bus driver I knew many years ago taught me how to watch for wildlife. Don’t look at the trees, focus your vision into them. Also concentrate your attention on sections of the view forward; look low, look middle, look high, repeat :slight_smile: Hunters often use similar techniques

5 Likes

I was going to say the same thing, it doesn’t necessarily look like it was that close

4 Likes

Yeah, the title of the video should be something like: Watch a speeding motorcyclist be awestruck by a deer’s crazy huge jump.

4 Likes

what do you call a deer that’s blind in one eye that died?

Still no idear

5 Likes

I thought a rabbit might be involved

3 Likes

I had a similar encounter once. Cruisin’ along around 45mph on a back road on my GSXr600 and saw one zip across the road 5 or 6 seconds ahead.
I eased off and slowed a bit when suddenly 1 dashed from some bushes across in front of me only missing by a split second, maybe 5-10 feet in front of me. Meanwhile another lumbered across right behind me at the same time!

Yeah that could’ve been a bad time…

5 Likes

Yeah, where there is one deer crossing the road, often times there are more.

5 Likes

Here in Australia, the Greyhound busses have very large bars on the front, and the night-shift drivers tells the passengers in the front rows ‘when we hit a kangaroo, please try not to scream.’

I talked to someone who took the Greyhound night bus from Darwin to Alice Springs. She said she screamed at the first three 'roos, but managed to keep quiet for the rest. She lost count, but it was more than six.

3 Likes

I’ve seen pictures of “Roo Bars” on cars and trucks…I imagine trains have an issue as well. Where I grew up lots of wildlife hit by trains, especially when winter and the right of way provides a snow free passage. Some animals adapt, some don’t. Where I now live, a city of about 1 million, we started getting lots of wildlife in the city about 25 years ago as leash laws took hold. The jackrabbits especially had no idea how to respond to automobiles, got hit all the time. Now, you hardly ever see it happen…natural selection I guess. The corvids enjoyed it while it lasted :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had a similar experience… except, no warning.

I looked at the road ahead and it was all clear - wooded, but wide shoulders, and I was going about 50. I looked down at my speedo for a second or two, and then looked up – there was a rear hoof about 5 feet in front of me and to the right. It had just jumped in front of me and I had missed seeing it. I distinctly remember the sound of the hoof hitting the pavement as it ran away.

3 Likes

I met a train driver from Oz who used to be on freight trains to Perth, the front of the trains were covered in bits of animal and blood, which they had to clean before going off duty.

Watch a motorcyclist brake as deer crosses track

Only one idea.

2 Likes

Deer jumps neatly right in between two motorcyclists, quite possibly keeping the exact same distance to each of them.

1 Like

Near misses with deer in the road are actually the norm, not a crazy rare thing. It’s part of how they are wired. They wait by the side of the road because they know roads are dangerous and are hesitant to cross. However when you get close, they panic and run for it, across the road (which is where they wanted to go). Their instincts effectively hard-wire them to make every vehicle encounter a close call. This also always happens at twilight when they are most active, because they are harder to see in that lighting.

In Canada (which has a much longer twilight than lower latitudes) I was taught to drive with an eye on both sides of the road at twilight, to watch for deer. Always expect them to bolt across at the last second if they are standing there.

And deer whistles are snake oil.
https://www.jstor.org/stable/20616763?seq=1

3 Likes